Chapter Eight

"Wait are you for real?", Evie laughed trying to contain herself. "Say it again, please!", she begged still laughing. "Croissant! What's so wrong about that?". Tom exclaimed full of frustration but secretly he would be ready to say it over and over again just to hear her angelic laugh for as long as possible. He watched her in complete awe as Evie was laughing so hard struggling to catch a breath. "Tommy it's croissant not quackson!" Evie had tears in her eyes from laughing so hard at the boy. Tom had to hide the smile that was tugging on his lips. "That's literally what I said! Croissant."

"I think that might just have been the funniest thing I've ever heard.", Evie said as she wiped her eyes. She can't believe that she was crying from sadness just hours ago and now she is here with Tom laughing more than she had in a long time. And their lunch break just started!

"How are you doing that?", she asked him getting serious. "What do you mean?" Tom looked at her confused by her sudden change of mood. "I've been in a bad mood all morning and now that we've talked for 10 minutes you have me laughing.", she smiled with glistening eyes. Tom couldn't help but stare at her in complete awe. She looked beautiful, suddenly so carefree again. He hated seeing her so down and tired this morning and he feels on top of the moon that he is the reason she can laugh and be happy again. This was one of those rare moments Tom felt completely content with himself, you could even say he was proud.

"Must have been my excelent personality as well as my charme.",he winked at her. "Yeah right.", Evie laughed again getting lost in his beautiful face that now that he was smiling, looked so young and stress free. Yesterday when he was yelling at her co-worker every one of his muscles was tense, his jaw locked and veins very prominent on his neck. Now he is a completely different person. His eyes are glistening with a mischevious glint, he has a boyish smile on his lips and he just looked all in all very soft. Evie couldn't decide which one was more attractive to her.

They both didn't realize how inappropriately long they were staring at each other lost in their own thoughts, full of admiration for the other until Tom's work phone rang making them snap back into reality. Sadly Tom had to go back to work due to an emergency meeting and Evie took that as an opportunity to go back to work as well so that she could leave a little early.

When she entered her floor she was greeted by Elizabeth, who was accessing her with a new stack of files she had to work her way through. "Evie", Elizabeth started in a weirdly hushed tone, "have you been having lunch with Mr. Holland lately?" The look in Elizabeth's disapproving eyes already told Evie that she was in big trouble. "Yes but that wasn't planned. He joined me one day when he saw me on a bench and we kind of stuck with it. Why?", she tried to sound as nonchalant as possible. "Evie he is our boss. And apart from that he's had his ways with his employees before. I know he is a handsome one but don't you think he is out of your league? Not looks wise, of course not, but he is so successful and that has a reason. He is not the kindest, most caring person in the world Evie.", Elizabeth explained with a hushed voice.

"I am not trying to start something with our boss, Liz! I like him, he is very kind to me and I admire him for his way of dealing with work and his employees. I am here to grow and I think I can learn a lot from Tom. So why wouldn't I take the chances I'm getting? And whatever he is doing in his free time is none of my concern.", Evie defended herself.

"Tom, huh?", Elizabeth winked at her and decided to dismiss the topic. Evie and Mr. Holland are free to do whatever they like. For all she cares they could do it right there on that counter. She just doesn't want Evie to get her hopes up for a man, who will not be able to give her the love she is searching for. Elizabeth knows that Evie has never been in love or in a relationship before, she won't be able to deal with a one-night-stand or a meaningless fling. Hopefully Mr. Holland does not have any wrong intentions with her.

Evie couldn't dismiss that topic so easily though. She sat at her desk going over what Liz has told her again and again in her head. He's had his ways with his employees before. But that's not what he's looking for with her, right? But what is he actually looking for? Why is he having lunch with her?

But she couldn't bring herself to believe Elizabeth's words at all or think anything less of the man she admires so much. He's saved her. And there is no way she will ever look at him as anything other than her hero and her successful boss. She really meant it when she said that she can learn a lot from him, since he has many qualities she aspires to take on. But that is of course not the only reason why she loves spending her lunch time with him. He makes her laugh and genuinely happy. And he makes her feel safe, like she actually belongs here. With him she doesn't have to pretend to be strong and professional at all times and he calms her anxious fears. With him she can be small because he will always be strong for her.

And this is exactly what she needs right now. So no, Evie is not after his looks or after his money but after the way only he can make her feel. Isn't it strange how she feels so at ease being around him even though she doesn't really know him outside of their workplace?