Chapter Fourteen

Waking up today Evie felt particularly small. She got dressed but didn't feel comfortable in her skirt with the grey tight fitted shirt over it. She decided to pair it with a white knitted jacked and put little butterfly clips in her hair. Not very business, but it's what she felt like wearing today.

With her white tea mug in her hand she left her apartment being hit by the cold air. Autumn was approaching and even though Evie was one to get cold easily it was her favorite season. It's cuddle season. Not that she ever had someone to cuddle with though.

When she reached the office she felt nervousness kick in. It was like the people were watching her every move, judging her, thinking she didn't belong to them. It was like she was just pretending to be a part of them but in reality she didn't fit to them. Hugging her mug to her chest she quickly averted her eyes from them and stared at the marble tiles on the floor. The panic didn't seem to go away throughout the first few hours of her work day. Evie was extra cautious to do everything she did perfectly still she had the constant feeling she was messing up. When Jasmin, a girl working across from her came over to ask her to scan some contracts for her she could just barely nod. "They are important, you better not forget to scan one.", Jasmin said suddenly not as friendly as she's usually been. The group project was just weighing in on everybody and everyone was so done with it. Evie didn't blame Jasmin for talking to her that way yet her outburst seemed to send her anxiety over the edge. As quickly as she could she sprinted to the copy room not wanting to be in the same room as Jasmin anymore. She struggled to breathe properly and had to hold back traitorous tears.

It was then when another person entered the room that was weirdly warm from the copy machine and had a smell of ink all over it. Evie tried to compose herself but she failed. "Good morning Evie.", the only voice she wanted to hear right now greeted her. Before he could even react she spun around and threw herself into his arms. She clung to his pretty dress shirt with tight fists and pulled herself impossibly closer to him. She rested her head in the place his neck and shoulders met, where it fit perfectly like a puzzle piece. Breathing in his scent calmed her down immediately and when he draped his strong arms around her she stopped feeling the urge to cry. She was safe and okay. Nobody could hurt her now. Nobody would look at her or yell at her. She didn't do anything wrong anymore. He shielded her from anything bad happening.

She tried to get even closer to him to be all engulfed by his warmth and she wished they could just hide here in that copy room with her in his arms until she was allowed to go home. "Evie, love, what happened?", he whispered playing with the ends of her hair soothingly while still holding her as tightly as he could without hurting her with the other hand. "Nothing. I just don't feel well.", she sniffled not wanting Jasmin to get hurt because it wasn't her fault at all. Hadn't Evie been so on edge already her words wouldn't have affected her at all.

"Are you ill? Do you want to go home and rest?", he asked looking down on the small girl in his arms concern deeply written on his face. "No I don't want to be alone.", she admitted burrying her head in his neck.

It was true. She didn't want to be alone, she wanted to be with Tom. Alone.

"Let's get out of here then. What do you think about blankets, a hot water bottle and a hot chocolate?", Tom whispered leaning down to kiss her head not realizing his actions before it was too late making them both blush and not daring to look at each other.

"We can't we have to work.", she said sadly. "Let's do home office then."

And with that it was set. Evie packed up her things as quickly as she could and waited for Tom by the elevator. Hopefully no one would look for her and see them leave together.

Tom arrived with a cheeky grin, content to see her happier again. "If you ever feel like that again I want you to come to me immediately. Don't force yourself to work when you can't.", he said gently really meaning what he said. Seeing her like that scared him because it reminded him of how small and fragile she actually was and how much he had to look out for her to keep her safe.

They drove in Tom's grey Audi to his familiar apartment complex and when he opened the door Evie felt feelings of comfort rush through her veins. This apartment reminded her of Tom. All of this was his and it smelled like him everywhere. Evie never wanted to leave this place. It was like a palace full of Tom.

He helped her out of her coat and ordered her to sit down on the couch while he prepared the hot water bottle as well as the hot chocolate. But Evie couldn't resist the image of him preparing stuff in the kitchen so she quietly tip toed over to watch him stirr the milk completely concentrated. She wished to always see him like that. Eyes fixed on the white liqid, hair messily pushed back and light blue dress shirt hugging his muscles perfectly. Suddenly Evie got the urgent feeling to kiss his pink lips again. The feelings got stronger when he bit down on his lower lip while putting the chocolate into the milk. She remembered Liz' advice and got closer to him. She closed her eyes so that she wouldn't have to look at his rosey lips anymore and wrapped her small arms around his strong torso. She nuzzled her face into his back, feeling his muscle tense and then relax immediately after realizing it was her who touched him. "Are you alright?", he asked gently turning around to hug her back. "Now I am.", she whispered pulling him closer, not ever wanting to let go.