Chapter Sixteen

Evie woke up to the voices coming from the still turned on television. She rubbed her tired eyes without opening them and snuggled deeper into her comfy pillow. Her pillow that smelled amazing. Amazing like Tom. Because it was Tom.

Realizing that made her eyes snap open yet she managed not to move too quickly to wake him up. She enjoyed staying just like that and stare at his sleeping form. He looked so peaceful, his skin so smooth and lashes resting on his cheeks. But most endearing where his soft looking pink lips. Evie couldn't help but imagine what it would be like to feel them move against her own. Would it feel as awkward and unpleasant as it had felt with Jake? Or would it be totally different?

Before she could stop herself she let her hand travel up his upper body, gliding over his neck up to his face cupping his cheeks and running her fingers softly across his sharp jawline up to his hair letting the soft locks glide in between her fingers. Her touch woke Tom up, it was like waking up to fall right into another dream. He was in absolute bliss under her soft little hands wanting her to never stop doing what she was doing. When she ran her fingers through his hair he couldn't hold back the content smile anymore. Both of them were not in the rational state of mind yet to think about whether their current position and actions were appropriate or not. "Hey love, slept well?", Tom broke their silence with his raspy voice his eyes still closed. Evie was in complete awe hearing his husky voice eager to hear it again. "Wonderful, you too?" "I had a really warm blanket.", he teased making her hide her embarrassment by nuzzling her face into his neck. "I'm sorry.", she said attempting to get up but he pulled her impossibly closer to his body. "I wasn't complaining angel. That was the best nap I've had in a long time.", he admitted making her blush even more. "Normally when I am anxious like today I can't sleep at all. This is very surprising to me, but I like it.", she smiled brightly at him. Their faces were only centimeters apart and seeing her look up at him through her big eyes like that made him want to kiss her desperately. He subconsciously leaned closer to her smiling face. Now they were just inches apart staring at each other's eyes. Tom's eyes drifted down to her pink lips, which made her snap back to reality.

"Tommy.", she whispered making him pull away a bit. "Evie.", he answered in the same hushed tone making her smile widen. "I really like this.", she admitted with pink cheeks feeling the need to express her gratitude for their current situation. She was completely oblivious to the fact that they just nearly kissed, this being so far from her mind. "I'm glad, because I like it too.", he smiled and bend down to press a light kiss on her forehead making her blush even more. "What time it?", she asked resting her head on his chest again. "It's 7pm, we should really eat something." "Oh no it's already dark outside. I hate being outside when it's dark.", Evie pouted.

"I'll drive you, I'd never let you walk home at this time.", Tom assured hugging her closer to him. "I am looking out for you Evie.", he whispered into her hair making a warm feeling spread in her chest. He really was looking out for her, not only in that bar where he saved her, but every day during their lunches or today when he put her health in front of his job. "I am looking out for you too.", she giggled, the sentence sounding silly coming from her. But Tom silently agreed, she kept him busy and gave him a purpose. Without noticing it she made his private life a lot more enjoyable for him and not just a time where he has to find ways to drown out the loneliness. Realizing that, he stared at her in complete awe of this girl in his arms wondering how he suddenly got the privilege to spend time with an angel. "Can we make wraps?", she suddenly pleaded with big doe eyes making him laugh at her playfulness. "Anything for you darling.", he said mindlessly not quite catching that Evie felt so appreciated by this statement. "For me?", she asked disbelievingly. "Of course, you're my angel.", he stated making her smile proudly.

"Tommy do you want tomatoes on your wrap?", she asked fixing them both their dinner. He just nodded as he came up behind her and wrapped one muscular arm around her tiny waist making her gasp. She was still only wearing his grey hoodie which made it hard for Tom to think straight. She looked like she was 'his' and it was messing up his mind. She closed her eyes leaning into him. "You're nearly as needy as I was this morning what's gotten you like this?", she asked enjoying his current touchy state. "You.", he admitted bluntly making her cheeks heat up.

When they were eating Evie's phone started to ring and Jake's name popped up on the screen. "Sorry, do you mind if I take this, he usually doesn't call me." Tom only nodded continuing with his food.

She greeted her best friend and found out that he was coming to visit her that weekend. She was ecstatic to see him again since she missed having him around her dearly.

"Is that the guy that kissed you?", Tom asked trying to sound as not-jealous as possible. "Yes, he's coming to visit me. You also know how that whole kissing thing turned out so before you ask, there is nothing going on between us.",she said already prepared for him to ask those questions because all the other people have always thrown their assumptions at her when she mentioned that awful kiss. "I know, he was horrible.", Tom grinned at her. "It wasn't him, kissing is just horrible I guess, at least for me." "Wait you mean you don't want to try with someone else ever again?", he asked.

"My first experience really ruined it for me. I guess I am scared to try again. I don't want it to be that bad again.", she admitted blushing being very honest with him. "I think there is nothing to be scared about Evie. I am sure you are not the one person on earth that is destined to hate kissing. People wouldn't be doing it if it was awful, trust me. You'll love it one day.", he assured her squeezing her hands. "We'll see about that."

After dinner Evie picked up her work clothes and Tom drove her to her apartment. "Do you want to come upstairs until I change and can give you your hoodie back?", she asked hoping he would agree which he did. "It's not as fancy as yours and it's tiny, please don't judge.", she said feeling embarrassed. Tom was fascinated by her flat because it was full of her things and standing here in that small bedroom allowed him to find out more things about her. For example that she has an unreasonable amount of pillows on her bed or that she likes fairy lights. "It's very pretty and very 'you'.", he complimented. "You can keep the hoodie by the way, it fits you a lot better than me anyways.", he smiled turning around to see her changed in a pair of leggings and a new shirt. "Are you sure?"

"I'd love it, if you'd keep it.", he reassured her making her smile. "Thank you Tommy. And thank you for being with me today and making that god awful day a lot better.", she said wrapping her small arms around his neck pulling him close in gratitude. "You're welcome. I like it when you call me that.", he admitted pulling her close by her waist. Both of them never seemed to be able to keep their hands to themselves when they are around each other. "That's good you know, because I like calling you that.", she smiled at him. "Sleep tight, Evie. I'll see you tomorrow at work." With that the left Evie alone with an immediate longing for him to come back. They've been with each other the whole day, yet now that he is gone she already misses his company dearly. Tom felt no different, hating the quietness of his large apartment once he returned home. His apartment was big and luxurious, but Evie's small room felt much more comfortable and homey to him, with all of her things filled in it, but mostly because she was in it. She made him feel at home much more than his apartment ever could.