Chapter Twenty Nine

They decided on just watching a movie until it was time for Haz and Liz to leave.

When the pair was busy doing the dishes Evie suddenly turned to Tom. "Tommy, can I talk about my parents?"
"Let's finish this and sit down on the sofa okay?", he asked his heart skipping a beat at the thought of her opening up to him. Of course he had noticed how different her parents have been acting on that day they were here to finish up her room but he never wanted her to feel pressured to tell him.

As they sat down Evie started to braid her hair in a big loose braid wanting to distract herself. "So they obviously aren't horrible people or anything. I love them. But they really have problems between each other. They never really made their relationship work but wanted to stay together because of me and to keep the image of a perfect family up. Sometimes I think they were just too scared to be alone. But since they didn't know how to love each other they didn't know how to love me either. I was in between them the whole time, twisted in their fights. And that's why I had to leave, it's not like they don't care about me they just don't know how to show me they love me.

I left because I needed to be away from their drama. Now whenever I visit or we talk on the phone it's for such a short period of time that there is no time to fight. So me being away really helped our relationship.", she finished explaining. Tom, who had been holding on to her hands the whole time she was taking was in complete awe of the girl in front of him. He suddenly understood why she was such an independent and strong woman. She had to be so strong and face adult problems at a young age and manage to grow up on her own while her parents were busy with their own problems.

On the other hand she had never been shown that she is loved before, which explains why she feels so needy all the time. Knowing this made him understand the complexity of this small girl in front of him and it made her seem even more incredible in his eyes.

"Evie you are the strongest person I know. You amaze me everyday really. You've been through a lot yet you managed to stay strong and work your way out of that toxic situation and stay as happy and content as you are now. There aren't many people on the world who would have reacted the same way you did. I admire you, really.", he said looking her right in the eyes to emphasize the meaning of his words. He really needed her to know how perfect she was in his eyes.

"I just needed to talk about this so you'd understand why I am the way I am sometimes.", she said smiling lightly at him. He reacted in a totally different way then she anticipated and it was much better. He had admiration for her in his eyes and for the first time in forever Evis was proud of herself and it was because of him.

She leaned over and crawled on his lap again wanting to feel his body heat. "Tommy.", she said quietly looking up at him while he was playing with her hair.

"Yes princess?" The nickname made a tingly feeling erupt in his chest.

"You make me feel really good about myself. Thank you so much.", she said giving him a genuine smile. A similar smile spread over Tom's face as he heard her say that. "That is exactly what I always want you to feel like. I am really glad you told me."

He pulled her even closer hugging her as tightly as possible without hurting her. He felt like he had the whole world in his hands and he never wanted to let go.

"We should probably go to sleep, don't you think?"
They both had work tomorrow and it really was time to get to bed but none of them wanted to leave the other's presence. "What if I give you a massage so you get tired?", Evie suggested making him smile. "That sounds like an amazing plan to me! Let's get ready for bed and meet in my room then.", he set her down on the floor and they both went to get ready for bed.