Chapter Twenty

The next day Evie started her Monday with fresh energy for the new week, excited to see Tom and Lizzie again and making this long group project finally come to an end. It has been draining the positive energy out of all the colleagues lately and everyone was ecstatic for it to finally be over. She got ready ready deciding on a white turtle neck with a beige pencil skirt not forgetting some golden jewelry to finish off the outfit. Still in a good mood she packed the lunch she cooked yesterday for Tom and herself hoping he'd have time to eat with her.

Arriving in the big sky scraper Evie greeted the people she met on her way to the elevator riding up to her floor. Since Liz wasn't there yet she fixed them both a cappuccino in the small office kitchen they had, knowing her friend would really appreciate it. Evie got straight to work drowning herself in answering the emails full of requests and small emergencies she had to take care off. Before she could even take a break it was already around lunch time, most of her colleagues already left without her noticing. She texted Tom asking him whether he had time for lunch. Tom answered declining to her disappointment, telling her there has been an emergency meeting scheduled in last minute. He promised her to be able to go for coffee right after the meeting, which she was happy about. Taking her share of the prepared lunch she went downstairs to hopefully find Lizzie, but she got disappointed again. Liz must have been eating out with a friend then. She sat alone at a table eating her lunch and enjoyed the silence and not having to think for a moment.

Then the door opened and two women she recognized from her floor entered. They both looked very young, maybe a bit older than Evie. Once they spotted the lonely looking girl they sat themselves next to her not interrupting their conversation at first. Evie couldn't help but feel a bit bothered by them, since she actually enjoyed sitting alone right now. "I hope you don't mind Evangeline.", one of the women turned around giving her a very forced smile. Regardless of her discomfort Evie didn't want to be rude so she just shook her head and smiled at them continuing her lunch. "So no hot quicky with our boss today?", the other suddenly said. "Has he finally grown tired of you? You've been going at it for quite a while now I've got to admit, you were the longest so far.", the other stepped in looking at her with cold eyes. Evie didn't really comprehend what they were saying or what was happening but she realized that they were not nice at all.

"I am sorry?", she asked confused. "Oh come on, there is no need to lie, I understand I mean this is a well paying company and you have to make money somehow. I get it you're young and inexperienced but normally they do it more behind closed doors, so they don't end up being the talk of the month like you are now.", the other laughed dirtily. "Mr. Holland sure is a pretty piece of meat, I wouldn't mind sleeping with him too. You're done with him now maybe I can take a turn, what do you think?", the other added nudging Evie's side. "There is nothing going on between me and To- Mr. Holland. I don't understand.", she explained desperately making the women laugh. "You are allowed to call him Tom, lucky you. There is no need to lie you are no better than any other slut he's been with. You are just doing it for the money so you don't actually have to work. Really cheap of you to sell your body like that" "That isn't true. I do work, him and me are just friends I promise.", Evie tried to defend herself. "Friends? Honey you are the biggest joke I've ever seen who is supposed to believe that. Maybe I should tell on you, have you fired.", the other stepped on grinning at her.

Evie felt tears building up in her eyes wanting to leave the situation she was in. She immediately stood up taking her things and scrambled out of the lunch room back to her floor, running to the bathroom. She didn't even notice Tom waiting for her at her desk calling out to her when he saw her running to the bathroom. Tom immediately ran after her kneeling down next to her covered form on the floor pulling her hands away. He grabbed her chin in his hand, searching her face. When he saw the tears building up in her eyes his own eyes widened, jaw and fists clenching. "What happened Evie, what's wrong?", he asked trying to calm himself down, pushing his anger away. He had to take care of her first.  

Evie couldn't speak yet, still so overwhelmed by everything that happened. She climbed into his lap burrying her face into his neck holding his shirt tightly in her fists. Tom whispered words of comfort to her while stroking her back. Once she calmed down a little bit she pulled away to look at him. "Let's go in my office angel we can talk there, alright?", he asked aware of the fact that lunch was coming to an end and he didn't want to be interrupted here while she speaks. They got up and he sat down on his chair pulling Evie into his lap, holding her as close as possible. He was playing with the ends of her hair while she explained what happened.

"So I was having lunch alone and then two women from this floor came and sat next to me. And they were rude and said that I am sleeping with you and that I just got this job that way and that I don't even do my work. They said I am cheap and that I am selling my body. They wouldn't believe me when I said we are just friends.", she finished holding back the tears daring to spill again. Tom immediately pulled her closer to him trying to calm her down while trying to contain his own anger. He was seeing red and wanted to yell at someone desperately. But he had to be there for Evie first.

"Don't you dare listen to them Evie. You are working so hard and you deserve to be here for your work ethic and skill, not because of your appearance or anything like that. It doesn't matter what they believe, they are just bullies and jealous because they were nowhere as successful when they were your age. You and me both know the truth and that's the only thing that matters, alright?", he said trying to make his voice as calming and reassuring as possible. Evie slowly nodded happy he was so understanding and didn't think she was childish for letting their mean words get to her. "They said they'd tell on me and have me fired.", she said looking down. "You're not the one getting fired here angel. I need you to tell me their names or at least tell me where their desk is.", Tom said eager to fire these two.

"Will they be fired because of me?", Evie asked with big eyes. "Not because of you, it's their own fault. Bullying will not be tolerated in this company.", he explained. "If we don't do anything they'll do the same to someone else.", Tom explained making Evie nod. "Maybe you don't want to watch." But Evie shook her head at that. They did this to her and she wanted them to know that she told on them. They both left his office, Evie wiping the tears away. Since lunch was over everyone was back on their computers continuing their work, the two women being no exception. Tom looked at her for reassurance that it was indeed them and Evie nodded subtly. When the women saw Tom and Evie approach them they suddenly didn't look as confident anymore as when they have been putting Evie down.

"Ms. Jackson and Ms. Winterbottom, to my office immediately.", Tom said authority thick in his voice. Evie didn't want to be on the other end of that conversation. Once everyone was back in his office Tom leaned down on his desk, pushing his sleeves up. Evie admired him from where she was standing. He looked so powerful and strong right now, not at all the Tom he's just been seconds ago holding her in his lap. "I'd like to inform you that it is none of your fucking business what I am doing in my free time, neither what Ms. Jones is doing. I will not allow my employees to run their mouths and talk badly about their colleagues. I also don't allow bullying colleagues here in this company. Both of you just got yourself fired, congratulations. There will be no notice or evaluation of that matter, you both leave. I don't want to see any of you near Ms. Jones or this company ever again, understood? You both should be ashamed of putting down someone younger than you for no other reason than jealousy.", he said mixing between yelling and having a dangerous calm voice. Both women looked scared, eyes full of regret. "Mr. Holland please, she's lyin-", one started but this is where Tom lost it. "How dare you talk back to me? You are accusing Ms. Jones of lying? If you don't get your asses out of this fucking building in ten minutes I'll personally make sure of the fact that both of you will not be able to ever get another job again for the rest of your lives. Did I make myself clear?", he yelled looking at them with eyes full of hate. Both of them nodded and scrambled out of the office.

Once they were out of sight Tom stepped out of his office addressing everyone else on this floor. "Is there anyone else who has a problem with either me or Ms. Jones you'd like to share? If I hear anyone run your mouth about a colleague again I will not hesitate to fire any of you.", he said in a loud voice until he returned to Evie. She was still in complete awe of this man, who just showed her again that he in fact will protect her from anything happening to her.  "Are you okay?", he asked worried by her quietness. She threw herself into his strong arms thanking him before going back to her workplace ignoring the stares she got.

 "That was fucking hot.", Liz whispered to her making Evie smile. It was.