Chapter Ten

Evie decided to leave her workplace for a second to get herself some tea. She must admit, the tea section is amazing in this company, definitely worth the stress of working here. As she was mixing in a tablespoon of sugar into the hot beverage someone else entered the little kitchen area. "Hi, I don't believe we've met yet. I'm Alex.", that person greeted with a kind voice. Evie didn't even expect him to even say anything to her. Yes the people here are friendly but usually not that friendly. Still she smiled as she turned to him and shook his hand. "I am Evie. Nice to meet you. I'm still new here and haven't met most people.", she admitted. Alex was a tall blonde guy with kind blue eyes. He seemed to be a bit older than her, maybe like Tom. He was attractive in his navy blue suit, but not at all Evie's type.

"Right, Elizabeth is the one showing you around, isn't she?", he asked again taking in her appearance. Today Evie wore a cream colored, tight fitted turtleneck with a plaited grey skirt and black tights. Her long hair was out of her face with a pearly white hair clip. She looked put together but her own style was for sure shimmering through her outfit.

"Do you work on this floor?", she asked after agreeing with his statement. "Yes, I was just on vacation, that's why you haven't seen me around yet. But I'm sure we will see each other more often now due to the group project.", he winked at her but not really in a flirty way. "That's nice. Do you want to grab lunch later?", she asked out of an act of kindness. Evie hadn't seen Tom yet at all so she didn't expect to have lunch with him later. A fact that she was kinda bumped about.

"I'd love to! Do you like the cafeteria food or did you bring something from home?" "We can sit in the cafeteria if you like. Maybe Liz can join too, I'll ask her.", Evie nodded as they parted ways.

She texted Liz over Google Hangouts, a program all of the employees used when they wanted to talk to their co-workers quickly, but Liz had plans already. Since it wasn't anywhere near lunch time yet she opened up a new file and got back to work, answering E-Mails, scanning papers or going through bills. She was so deep into it she nearly didn't notice it was lunch time already. She hated making her new found friend wait for her.

As quickly as possible she ran towards the elevators and pressed the downwards button. As the doors opened she didn't expect to see Tom in there smiling at her. "Evie I wanted to surprise you. I bought pasta for us!", he showed her his bag excitedly.

"Oh Tommy I am so sorry. I have plans with Alex. Since I didn't see you all day I figured you are busy or out of office." His smile dropped and Evie felt like the most horrible person on this planet. She secretly wished she never agreed to lunch with Alex. "I owe you big time. But do you maybe want to join? I don't want you to eat alone.", she tried but Tom wasn't having it. He understood her reasoning but deep inside he was pissed. "No it's fine. You go eat with Alex. I have plans." His voice was so cold it made shivers run down her spine. He couldn't even look at her as he walked out of the elevator. Evie felt like crying.

But she decided to man up and deal with him later. Now she would concentrate on Alex.

He was already waiting for her with a salad and a juice ready for her to dig in. Alex talked a lot about himself and asked her equally as many questions. Evie was trying to answer as cheerful as possible but her mind drifted off to the brown haired boy sitting across from her with a boy she's seen before on her night out. That must be his friend, Harry? Something like that.

Tom's eyes were trained on the pair but he didn't look happy at all. He didn't even know Alex but he didn't like him. Evie didn't really seem into him either since he saw her eyes drift to their table very often but she was still talking and laughing with him. Tom hated it.

"Would you stop staring at her like that. He is a co-worker let the poor girl make some friends here.", Harrison said smiling at his jealousy-ridden best friend. He has never seen Tom so hung up on a girl like that before. It wasn't the first time that Harrison had lunch with Tom in their company but normally they wouldn't just sit there stalking Tom's female employees.