Kabanata 58

Zai's Point of View

For some reason, my breathing is becoming really heavy and heavy as the time goes by. I gripped my blanket tight and looked out of the window. The moons are bright and the sky is dark. It was peaceful but I couldn't find my peace in my own room.

The necklace I was wearing glowed. Hinawakan ko ito at mas lalong bumigat ang pakiramdam ko. I want to shout but I shouldn't. What is Avis doing to me?

I stopped when I heard knocks from the door. I stood up and opened it. I was surprised to see Axen. He wasn't looking at me. Nakaiwas siya ng tingin at mukhang nahihiya. I was shocked when he suddenly handed a basket full of red apples. He scratched the back of his head then faced me but lowered his head.

"Sorry... about earlier." I didn't expect him to apologize. I can still remember his glares earlier.

Tinanggap ko naman ang basket. "It was nothing."

We remained silent after that. He just keep on scratching the back of his head like he want to say something he couldn't.

"I may be wrong but were you having a hard time breathing? Mahina lang pero naririnig ko kasi yung paghinga mo but it can be just my imagination. You were also groaning." I just looked at him with a straight face. This guy is a half-cat so it's not surprising that he has incredible hearing sense.

"You're mistaken." I answered. He smiled and nod.

"That's good then. I'm going back to my room. Eat those apples to cast away your anger okay?" he run to his room and closed the door. I looked at the apples and slightly chuckled. These apples are from the school's garden.

Pumasok na ako ulit sa kwarto at inilapag ito sa lamesa. My breating is now stable and the burning sensation throughout my body is now gone. I wonder what was that for. I just hope that Avis shows herself again to me.

"Zai..."

I suddenly stopped when I heard her voice. I looked out the window. The wind was blowing and I can hear the sound of the leaves.

"Zai... help..." I quickly grabbed my sword and jumped out of the window. I ran to the forest and I don't know where my feet is taking me. Avis' voice was weak and she seems desperate for help.

Without me noticing, I was already out of the academy's barrier. I just run and run and run. I stopped when I reach a river. Inilibot ko ang paningin ko at tumigil iyon sa may malaking bato na nasa gilid ng ilog. May nakadapang babae roon at mukhang hirap na hirap ito.

Mabilis akong lumapit dito. Hinawakan ko ang balikat nito at ihiniga sa hita ko. Avis was covered with wounds and I can see blood all over her warm clothing.

"Avis. What happened?" I asked. She slightly opened her eyes then winced because of the pain.

"They knew about my condition. I'm becoming weaker as the time goes by. Then they suddenly attacked." she coughed blood and all I could do was hold her. I heard the sound of the bushes. I looked around and saw demons surrounding us.

They all jumped at us but Avis raised her hand and all of them turned into dusts.

"Zai, can you carry on the God's power?" she suddenly asked that surprised me. But she chuckled afterwards, "It's not like you have a choice anyway."

I've read about it on the book that Corum entrusted me. The Gods are not mortals, but they aren't immortals either. They just have a much longer lifespan than the humans. They can die due to injury but it's impossible to even put a scratch on a God.

That's why they have a successor. Someone who can carry on their power. Someone who can take their responsibility and duty.

"But Avis--"

She winced and touched her waist. She looked at her hand and saw blood. "We don't have much time. Please Zai. Accept me."

I sighed and nod as an answer. She smiled and touched my cheeks. Our foreheads touched and suddenly, light surrounded us. I felt like my body was light and relaxed. I can also feel the force all over my body. When the light was gone, I opened my eyes. Avis smiled and she suddenly turned into crystals being blown by the wind.

"Thank you." that was the last thing I heard from her until she vanished into thin air. It was a wonderful way to die. I stood up and looked at the moons above. It was blue. It's the sign of Avis' death. I grabbed my sword and walk away.

Third Person's Point of View

The dark castle was filled with the woman's laughter. While staring at the blue moons, her eyes are filled with joy.

"Finally, she's dead." she stood up from her throne. All the maids and butlers bowed to her while she's just passing them.

"That girl locked me up. But how naive of her. She didn't even had the chance to pass on her power." she stopped by the window and saw armies of demons outside.

"Now let me ruin the things you hold dear."

Zai's Point of View

I was just sitting on the window, keep on staring at the sky. It was already dawn but I can't sleep. I opened my palm and there I saw the necklace that she gave me. I sighed and put it on.

I tested the power that she gave me, I had a hard time. It was so hard to control. One sweep of my hand and I can kill myself if I wasn't careful. It was indeed powerful and I can't believe that I'm the one who was chosen to use it. It's not safe.

The sun showed up and I had no choice but to get out of my room and take a bath. When I was done, I saw Zera right in front of the bathroom.

"You're up early" she said. I just nodded and walk away. I went to the kitchen and ate an apple. I prepared breakfast for all of them and leaved it at the table. Umalis ako ng dormitoryo at nagtungo sa opisina ni Levine. He smiled when I entered. I immediately told him why I was there and his smile faded. I told him about my power but I didn't tell him where it came from. I just said, it suddenly appeared.

He gave me advices and I just listened to him. I went out of his office and went to my class even though I'm already 30 minutes late.

"Come in. The headmaster already told me that you have something to do that he asked for." Sensei Fobia said. I bowed and went to my seat.

The normal day started but I know to myself, that I'm not normal as before.