Kabanata 61

Zai arrived at Deraihm and she already sensed the fear of the townsfolk. Walang makikitang tao sa daan. All you can hear is the silent whisper of the wind. She continued her walk. Whenever she pass by, the windows are closing and the people are hiding. She shook her head and went to the house of the town leader.

Kumatok siya rito. Noong walang nagbukas ng pinto, muli siyang kumatok at nagsalita. "I am from Excelium Academy. I'm here to help."

After some few seconds of waiting, the door slightly opened. The middle aged man gestured her to come in. Noong makapasok siya ay nakita niya ang isang babae na mukhang asawa ng namumuno ng lugar. May dalawang bata rin sa loob.

"Maraming salamat at dumating ka. If this keeps up, we might die of hunger and fear." the town leader said. She nodded and touched the hilt of her sword.

"Where did you see the blood trails?"

"The blood of cows are found in the southern part of our town." muli siyang tumango at binuksan na muli ang pinto. Lumabas siya at pumunta sa lugar na sinasabi nito. Noong nakarating roon, nakita niya ang dugo sa lupa na tila may hinilang patay na katawan papasok sa gubat. Isinuot niya ang itim na mask at tumakbo, following the blood trails.

While running, she looked around and sensed nothing. No animals, no presence. She looked straight ahead. From afar she saw an old woman who's walking so weak. She was covered with a black cloak but she can easily see the long white hair of the old lady. Bumigay ng tuluyan ang katawan nito at bumagsak sa lupa.

Noong makalapit ay hinawakan niya ang balikat nito at ihiniga. The old woman look really weak and hurt. She also saw blood. She sighed and removed her mask.

--

Dumilat ang mga mata ng matanda at ang una niyang nakita ay ang isang dalaga na nasa harap ng apoy at nilalagyan ito ng mga kahoy bilang panggatong. She moved and that's when the girl glanced at her. She was surprised to see a familiar feature. The girl's long black hair, deadly eyes that's piercing through her soul and the emotionless face that she knew a long time ago.

"Oh. You're awake. Here." the girl coldly gave her an apple and gazed back at the bonfire. Umupo naman ang matanda at tinignan ang mansanas na hawak.

"What's with the injury geezer?" muli siyang tumingin sa dalaga noong nagsalita ito. The girl wasn't looking at her. Pinupunasan nito ang dalang sandata.

"Inakala ng mga taong bayan na ako ang may kagagawan sa pagkawala ng mga hayop sa lugar nila. I am a witch but I do not feed on animals." hinawakan ng matanda ang sugat niya sa tagiliran at napansin niyang may benda na iyon.

"Oh~ so you're a witch?" her eyes widen while staring at the girl. The girl is holding and looking at the sword. She felt the coldness in her hands and feet. She can clearly feel the girl's tremendous bloodlust. She cannot be mistaken. This girl... she's from that kind! When the girl looked at her, she can understand that the girl is estimating if she should kill her or not.

"I swear. I don't mean any harm."

"Okay." eh? The old woman was confuse by the girl's fast reply. But she suddenly chuckled when she remembered that her kind is also known for being mysterious.

"What? Lost your sanity?"

"Young lady, by any chance, are you a Hevrion?" Zai's eyes widen because of the familiar name that the old woman said. It was her surname. Her real surname. Her father's family name. Her eyes turned sharper.

"You are, aren't you? I know that cold gaze that only your blood has."

"What are you? And what do you know?" Zai asked in a very cold tone. She's being cautious in front of the witch.

"I am a witch. I lived for thousands of years. And in those years, I have encountered many Hevrions like you. All of you has those cold eyes that many has feared. Your kind are feared by many." Zai was interested because of what the witch is saying. She sheathed her sword and faced the woman. Listening to every word she will say.

"A very long time ago, Hevrions are the strongest tribe that you can find in Archodonia. They are born with the intent to kill. Their body is naturally fast, light and battle-ready. One Hevrion is enough to kill a group of demons. They are feared by so many kinds: the humans, the elves, the barbarians, the pirates, and many more. Their bloodlust is enough to make you fall on your knees. Because of their fearsome existence, the kings made them their right hand. They are born with incredible physicality however, they are not blessed with the ability to use an excelium. They are not satisfied by what they can do, they wanted power. Because of that greed, many has perished in their hands. That's when the Gods made their move. They suddenly vanished. Some says that the Gods turned them into ashes, some says that they were taken to another world. No one knows the answer. But here you are, right in front of me. A living Hevrion." Zai understood the old woman's story. The Hevrions were taken to Earth. The Gods separated them from this world.

"Don't ever beg to your opponent, daughter. Always remember. A Hevrion is not weak... our blood... is absolute." Now she understand her father's words. She looked at the old woman and she can sense that the woman is asking, regarding about their tribe.

"I was young when my parents died so I had no idea about my bloodline. Thanks for informing me." she stood up, carrying her sword with her.

"I suppose you can handle yourself from here. I'll take my leave." tumalikod na siya ngunit muling nagsalita ang matanda.

"Young lady, how old are you?" she looked back and saw that the woman is serious about the question.

"17" the old woman smiled and stood up. Her face is now covered by the hood once again.

"Your blood has not awaken yet." the wind blew and the old woman vanished like a dust being blown away. Muling isinuot ni Zai ang kaniyang maskara at tumakbo palayo.