Chapter 12 - Showing Off

On Wednesday, we were allowed in school again as they were able to make the building structurally sound and clean out most of the debris. The teachers from the two classrooms most affected by the blast had to move their classes elsewhere, but other than that the rest of the classrooms were up to code and were allowed to continue normally.

However, while the classrooms were trying to be as normal, nothing else was the same. The public's opinion of me had changed again, this time everyone hated me. The teachers didn't seam to hate me as much, but all of the students clearly blamed me for what had happened. Peter tried to assure me that it was my imagination, that not everyone hated me and I was reading too much into their looks, but I could tell that they all knew none of this would have happened if it weren't for me.

"Why are you here?" One of my classmates, Noah, asked as they approached me as I walked to computer science. "Wasn't getting the school blown up once enough for you?"

"Hey, back off," Peter spoke, getting between the two of us. "What happened Monday wasn't her fault. You should be thanking her, she was the one who fought to protect the school."

He scoffed, "she was protecting herself. Tell me, (Y/N), do you really think that the school would have been attacked if you weren't there?"

"Let's just go, Pete," I mumbled, grabbing his arm and practically dragging him away from Noah. "Let him hate me, there's nothing I can do about it."

"It's just not fair. If they want someone to blame, they should look to the people who actually attacked," he complained, glancing back at Noah angrily.

"Just leave him be, we've got a class to attend."

Peter seemed like he wanted to argue further, but he held his tongue per my request as we entered Mr. Caldwell's room. I sat in my normal seat next to Flash, a position that was only growing more and more awkward as the year moved on. Peter and Ned has both offered to trade places, but I had always assured them that I could take care of myself and decided to stay put so that I did not feel as though I was becoming more of a wedge between their friendship. As it was, I already felt like I was taking Peter away from his friend whenever we hung out together.

"Mr. Caldwell, do I have to sit with (Y/N)?" Flash asked as he walked into the room, surprising me with his desire to move when we only had three classes left together. "I really don't want to get blown up or shot today and my chances of that increase astronomically if I'm around her."

"Oh, Miss Stark, I wasn't expecting you to show up today. Don't you think it would be safer for all of us if you remained home for the rest of the year? I believe that you have plenty of sick days left to take. Is it your pride that brought you here? Well, it's certainly not going to protect any of us from a bullet in the head when those people attack again," Mr. Caldwell spoke, clearly on board with the feeling that the attack was caused by me. "Your father added extra security to protect you, even though he claims it is to protect the school as a whole. But let me tell you this, the only way to protect the school would be for you to leave it."

I stood up from my seat and addressed him, "perhaps you are right, but I shouldn't be denied an education just because you think I'm putting a target on everyone's back. Maybe I am a risk to the school, but I am also the one who will best protect you from a bullet in the head. Monday I didn't fight for myself, I made sure that every student was safe, I risked my life to protect theirs. Because when it comes down to it, I can't prevent people from attacking, but I can sure as hell protect the lives of those around me."

"You think you can divert the blame with a stupid 'I'm the hero' speech? Sit back down, (Y/N), before I have to send you to the principal's office."

"The blame's not on me in the first place," I growled, trying not to let his words get to me. Trying to recall all that Peter had told me the night before. I didn't believe the words spilling from my mouth, but I wasn't going to let him win this fight. "If you want someone to blame, blame the people that were shooting at me and held a gun to my head. If I died Monday, would that have made you happy?"

"I said take a seat," Mr. Caldwell repeated, anger flashing in his eyes. He then muttered something under his breath that I could not make out, but it sounded as though he had called me a spoiled bitch.

Peter clearly heard what he had said because he leapt up from his seat to defend me, but I placed my hand on his shoulder to stop him. I shook my head, trying to tell him to leave it. Jasper, one of the other kids in my class, was clearly uncomfortable in the tension that befell the classroom and decided to ask, "I saw you using magic Monday, could you show us some tricks?"

A small smile spread across my face, "I would love to. However, I don't know if Mr. Caldwell would approve."

"Oh no, go ahead and show off. You might as well demonstrate your abilities if you're going to get us all killed."

I glared at Mr. Caldwell, feeling anger boiling within me. However, I knew that the last thing I needed right now was a suspension, so I swallowed my feelings and began to show the class some of the things that I could do. I knew that it didn't change the fact that I was putting them in danger, but many of my classmates enjoyed seeing magic for the first time.

My demonstration lasted for the majority of the class and when we were finally dismissed, Peter rushed to my side. "You have to report him to administration, (Y/N)."

"And tell them what?" I asked, stopping to argue with him. "Pete, you saw him in there, he was just challenging me to report him. I could get him fired, but can't because then he wins anyway. I would just be proving that I am spoiled and can get my way no matter what. We only have a few more days left, it isn't worth it."

"(Y/N), he called you a bitch!"

"Yeah, and so does a hundred other people, Peter! He may be a terrible person, but I won't have to worry about him after Friday. I'm sorry if you don't agree with my decision, but it is final."

-

(A/N): Ok this didn't turn out exactly how I wanted, but it is leading to something I really wanted to happen so we're putting it in anyway whoop! Hope you enjoyed!