Chapter 37 - I'll Tell Him

I spent the night trying to get some of the sleep that Peter so wanted me to get, but it was as difficult as ever. I knew I woke Peter a couple of times as I jumped awake or repositioned myself in hopes that it would aid my goal of sleeping and due to that guilt I spent most of the second part of the night lying on my side staring at the wall. That way Peter didn't realize that I wasn't sleeping and I wasn't keeping him up as well.

I allowed myself to get up fairly early and popped into the shower before heading down to breakfast with Peter. We both showed up in our suits, knowing that we would be leaving rather early for our next attack of a Hydra base. With the new information I was able to obtain, Steve and Nat had planned out a number of future raids that we would be briefed on later that day, but for now we were going to continue with our original plan.

"I'm just saying, I don't think it was necessary to have us all leave the compound this early in the morning. I've got a routine, you know," we heard Sam arguing as we entered the kitchen.

Steve was sitting at the table, looking completely done, "Sam, you were literally in the military. I know things have changed since I was a part of the armed forces, but I also know that the early hours is not one of those things. Look, the kids are up, and if they can drag themselves out of bed, so can you."

"Technically we're adults now, Steve," I pointed out absentmindedly as I searched the pantry for food.

"Nope, you're still a kid. I don't care what your legal age is," Sam argued back before turning to Steve. "I'm not complaining about getting up, I'm complaining about have to leave so early. I was going to go for a nice run-"

"Oh, so that's what you call it? I thought you just went for walks in the morning," Steve smirked in response.

At that moment, Bucky entered, looking as tired as I get, "for once, I'm going to have to agree with Sam. Please remind me why we have to leave so early? Look at the sun, it has barely risen."

"Hey, you could have gone to bed earlier last night, so there's only you to blame for your exhaustion."

"Well, actually, I think I have to give you some of-" Bucky began to elaborate before I cut him off.

"Ok, I think we've heard enough! I really do not need to begin my day thinking about that." I brought my bowl of cereal to the table and flopped down in my chair.

Nat, who had been watching the entire conversation unfold, finally spoke up, "and is that not exactly what you and Peter where up to? Quite suspicious that the two of you arrived together this morning."

"Ok so I was going to come in here to eat something, but there goes my appetite," my father spoke as he entered the room, looking as though he would rather be anywhere else.

"Don't worry, dad, you have no need to be disgusted," I called out in response. "Peter came in to wake me this morning, that's all. Besides, be glad that you got to avoid the discussion about Steve and Bucky's love life."

"You seem to be forgetting that my room is right next to the Captain's. Trust me, I know everything. God, I really should have invested in thicker walls."

Thankfully, I was saved by Clint who arrived to inform us that the quinjet was ready to go as soon as the team was. I jumped up and threw my bowl in the sink, "thank god, I'll be in the quinjet where this discussion will officially end before I become scarred for life."

I did as I said, walking out of the room dramatically. Peter jogged up to meet me and slipped his hand in mine, giving it a reassuring squeeze. "I haven't had the chance yet to ask you, but did you get anymore sleep last night?"

I nodded, "a bit, yeah. I'm sorry that I kept waking you, I was trying my best to stay still."

He gave me one of his adorable smiles, "don't worry about it, (Y/N). I'm glad that you got a bit more rest, you needed it. I still think you should tell your dad, though."

"Yeah, I will after the mission. I don't want him to worry or pull me out now."

It didn't take long for the remainder of the Avengers to join us and we made our way to the second Hydra location. Our plan was similar: Jump out of the quinjet above the location to mask our arrival and then enter as groups in each entrance. I was going to continue my mission of extracting information if at all possible, even if it did cause added risk.

Peter and I entered together, immediately hearing alarms blaring within the base. The noise was deafening, shattering my eardrums and covering the sounds over both Peter shouting at me as well as the comms. The gunfire began and Peter and I ran to separate sides of the door way to use as a shield against the gunfire.

I quickly sprinted over to Peter, using my magic to create a shield. Trying to project my voice over the blaring noise, I asked him, "you think you can hold them off here while I go find a computer?"

"Yeah, of course. But are you sure you want to go alone?"

I nodded, "I'll be fine Peter, I'll see you soon."

And with that I rolled into the midst of the battle, taking down as many people as I could while searched for doors that might lead me to a computer. I had only been at this base once, but I did know where one office was located, which was where I figured I would have the most luck.

As I through out balls of energy to protect myself, I could feel my exhaustion breaking through. However I was getting close to my destination, so I soldiered through it to get to the office. I busted through the lock on the door, slipping inside the office and plugging my bracelet into the computer. As it worked on downloading, I created a gun in my hand, shooting anyone who tried to come in after me.

The computer dinged as it finished my download and I rushed over to grab it when I was suddenly thrown back. My head smacked against the wall, causing everything to blur around me until I was able to focus on a man in the doorframe holding one of Hydra's experimental weapons. I quickly threw a ball of energy into his stomach, buying myself some time to grab my bracelet. However when I tried to stand up, a pain radiated from where I had been shot, causing me to stumble backwards. I bit my lip and used some of my magic to dull the pain.

After slipping the bracelet back on, I rejoined the fight outside, noticing that there were a few more Avengers helping Peter out. He rushed over to me as soon as he saw me, "did you get everything you needed?"

I nodded, "thanks for holding them off. Sorry for leaving you alone to fight."

The guy that I had thrown back finally got up again, aiming his weapon at us. I noticed him as he pulled the trigger and I desperately created a shield around us, making sure to step my body in front of Peter's as I was not entirely positive that this experimental tech would not be able to penetrate my shield. I felt the world around me spin, but after feeling not impact from the weapon, I moved back into a defensive stance and tossed a dagger into the neck of the man who was trying to kill me. As I let go of the blade, I felt my body wobble off balance and suddenly everything went black.

-

(A/N): Guys, I actually met him and he signed my Shakespeare book and I kinda froze but holy shit he was so amazing as was the entire play and I cannot describe how I feel right now. I think I'm going to need ten years to process what just happened. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, do you think you'll be ok after passing out in the middle of battle?