Chapter 45 - Hammer

Two Months Later:
Once I was released from Shuri's care, Peter and I resumed our former routine of going out on patrols. I was surprised that Tony allowed it to happen after what had occurred the last time we had tried to stop a crime together, but he only made sure that Peter would never leave my side while we were out and that we would avoid any unnecessary danger, whatever he meant by that.

I think part of the reason that he allowed me to return to the streets was that I could really use some more positive press at the moment. When I had returned from Wakanda, Tony had help a press conference to explain to the public what had happened. I had been sighted working for Hydra and the people wanted answers, but because of all of our Hydra raids he had delayed giving them those answers. However, once we finished taking care of Hydra, he knew that he could not hold them off for much longer.

I was lucky in the fact that Bucky had been a very similar situation and the general public had learned to forgive him, but there were still clearly large masses of people who wanted me to take accountability for what I had done. Tony protected me from the majority of the slander as well as from those who wished to lock me up, but I knew that they were right. I had committed those crimes, whether I was conscious of it or not.

For my own conscience, I had been visiting the graves and families of each of my victims, leaving flowers and words of apology at the graves and condolences with the families. Most of the time I was thrown out by angry relatives, but I felt that it was my duty to do something. I was down to the final person I had killed: the Secretary of State. I had spoken to his wife the day before and she had been more accepting than others I had dealt with.

"I am so sorry for what I did, I-I wish that I could go back in time and I don't know somehow stop all of this from happening. I met your wife yesterday and you were certainly a lucky man. She tried to keep her emotions in check and she certainly did better than I did, she didn't want me to blame myself. But I do and I can't help it. Who else can I blame? Hydra may have been the ones to brainwash me, but I let them take control of my mind. I-I should have fought harder, I should have done something."

"(Y/N), I thought I'd find you here," Peter's soft voice rang out as he placed his hand on my shoulder.

I closed my eyes as I placed the bouquet of flowers on top of the grave. "I had to come see him, to apologize."

He gave me a small smile, "I know. And that's all you can do for him. I've learned that telling you that it wasn't your fault doesn't help, so instead I'll encourage you to ease your conscience by helping those who you can still help. If you're up to it, we can go on patrol."

"Yeah, let's go. I've just finished here," I nodded, activating my suit.

Peter pulled his mask back over his head and we took to the streets, looking for anything out of the ordinary. It was still considered early for crimes to occur, but that didn't mean that they didn't happen. For the most part, we just decided to walk along the rooftops and just talk, keeping our eyes peeled for any activity on the ground.

"(Y/N), you have an incoming call from your father, he says that it is quite urgent," (A/I) spoke, interrupting Peter and my conversation.

"Then patch him through," I replied, glancing up at Peter in fear. "Hey, dad, what's up?"

"You know those creatures that Hydra made? Well, apparently they're not dead and their reeking havoc across the city. You think that you and Pete could provide some backup for Wanda and Vision? They're taking on evil Thor on 56th street."

"We're on it, we'll be there in a minute," I replied, hanging up the call and requesting that (A/I) connect me to the Avengers' comms. I then grabbed Peter and apologized, "I'm sorry, but we have to get there quickly, so you're going to have to suck it up, ok?"

"You know the more we do that, the less it makes me feel as though I'm going to be sick," he confessed as we tried to survey what was happening.

"So you don't mind teleporting?"

"Now I didn't say that, but-" he broke of as a car was thrown in our direction. "Well, I suppose we found Hammer."

"Yeah no kidding," I muttered, looking down at where he was causing mayhem on the streets. Wanda and Vision were mostly trying to protect the innocents instead of staging an offensive, proving that they were desperately in need of backup. "Remember, he has powers akin to Thor's, including the hammer. Be careful with your webs, he could easily use them to throw you around or electrocute you with them."

Peter nodded and we joined the ongoing battle, immediately going after Hammer. He seemed to be enjoying himself, laughing heartily as he ripped up sections of the road and tossed cars all over the place.

"Hey discount Thor! Remember me?" Peter called out, causing me to glare at his idiocy. We had the chance to sneak up on him and now that was blown.

"Yes you are that puny mortal who failed at apprehending me last time! Be prepared to fail again!" Hammer cried out in response, sending a blast from his hammer into him.

He was thrown back and groaned, "ok so it's not lightning, but that hammer does send out electricity. Probably charged by some sort of battery, so be careful. I'll keep him occupied so you can get closer."

"Be careful, Pete," I warned, knowing that we didn't have the time to argue.

"Is that all that you've got? I've gotta admit, the real Thor packs a much meaner punch," Peter antagonized Hammer, making me roll my eyes at him.

However he did succeed in winning Hammer's attention. While distracted, I ran up behind Hammer and leapt onto his back, wrapping my thighs around his neck and cutting off his air supply. He reached his arm around to toss me off of him, causing me to land on my back with the wind knocked out of me. He spat at me and raised his hammer to strike down upon me and I quickly created a shield to block the attack, but Peter wrapped his webs around Hammer's hand before he could make contact with my shield.

While Hammer looked back at Peter in disgust, I tossed a knife into his chest and although I knew it would not imbed deep within his skin, it was enough to aggravate him and turn his attention back towards me. I got up from the ground and produced two daggers in my hands, facing him in an attack ready stance.

He began his approach, pulling Peter along with him as he raised his hammer, but stopped suddenly as there was a beeping noise that came from his wrist. Looking slightly disappointed, he pulled my knife from his chest and used it to sever the webs attaching the hammer to Peter.

"As fun as this has been, I've got to go!" He called out before creating momentum with his hammer and flying off.

"Woah, how did he do that? I get that Mjolnir is magical, but that was made out of earth tech," Peter marveled as we watched him disappear into the air.

Vision followed him, the only one of us who could fly, but he returned to the ground a few minutes later in defeat. We didn't know what caused his sudden escape, perhaps it was because he realized that he would be beaten or perhaps he was merely sent as a distraction and was being called back to base. The only thing we did know what that Hydra wasn't dead yet and they were clearly still fighting back.

-

(A/N): ooh they're back! Also, we are coming to a close on this story (which will be the last one following this storyline)! I hope that you enjoyed this chapter!