Chapter 18 - Lunch Date Gone Wrong

One Month Later:

"Hey, (Y/N), I was wondering if you would like to have lunch in my office today?" Pepper asked as she poked her head out of her office to speak to me.

My face fell as I found myself caught between my mother and boyfriend, "oh, I would love to, except Peter's already asked to take me out. I can text him and see if he would like to reschedule?"

"Oh no, don't bother. I just wanted to talk to you about something. If you want to step inside, I can tell you now," Pepper offered, making me wonder if I had done something wrong. I had been her assistant for about two months now and had made quite a few slip ups at the beginning, but recently I felt that I had become rather good at my job, despite how hectic it was.

Nervously, I entered her office and found my father waiting with her. I looked at them in confusion, "dad, what are you doing here? Is there something wrong?"

"What Tony Stark isn't allowed to drop by Stark Industries?" He asked innocently, causing me to roll my eyes.

"Well you don't exactly run the company anymore."

"Don't worry, I have my security badge, Happy isn't going to come after me. Anyway, I'm here because there's something that we want to tell you," he replied, wrapping his arm around Pepper's waist.

"Ok," I spoke slowly, still uncertain.

Tony looked to Pepper to tell me, beaming at her, "(Y/N), you're going to be-"

"Ms. Potts, Mr. Porter is awaiting you in the conference room," we were interrupted by a voice calling over Pepper's intercom.

I froze, realizing that I had not informed Pepper of this appointment, "oh my god, Pepper, I am so sorry. The meeting was arranged last minute yesterday and I completely forgot to tell you. I compiled everything that you need for the meeting, let me just go get it."

"(Y/N), it's alright. These things happen all of the time. Thank you for arranging everything, we can finish this discussion after the meeting," Pepper assured me, following me out of her office so that I could give her her materials. "Have fun on your date with Peter!"

I went back into Pepper's office after she left to see if I could get my dad to say anything. He was sitting in Pepper's chair with his feet resting on her desk when I returned, clearly it had not taken long for him to get comfortable. I stood next to him and asked, "so why are you here, dad?"

"Sorry, I promised Pep that she could tell you. Now what is this I hear about a date with Peter? I didn't authorize this."

"We're just going to have lunch together, dad. He's probably picking some sandwiches up from Delmar's, he'll swing by in a minute."

"Delmar's, huh?"

"Best sandwiches in Queens," I replied absentmindedly, quoting what my boyfriend had said to me. And I had to admit they were quite delicious.

"Wow, so you're really just going to betray Sub Haven like that?"

I shrugged, "I kinda have to, otherwise Peter would actually kill me."

"If he even considers laying a hand on you, I will kill the kid myself," Tony replied, his voice turning serious.

"He-hey, Mr. Stark, I-I wasn't expecting you to be here," Peter stuttered as he walked in at the worst possible moment.

"Kid, I wasn't aware that you steal her away for lunch everyday."

I rolled my eyes, "it's not everyday, dad. Now, if you would excuse us, we have a date. I'll be back soon so you and Pepper can finally tell me whatever it is that you came here for."