Chapter 49 - Agents of Hydra

"So have you texted her yet?" Peter inquired as we took to the streets the following day.

I shook my head in response, "I will tomorrow, I promise. I've just been struggling with what to say. I mean how am I supposed to force someone to come in for interrogation without letting her know that she's going to be interrogated?"

"It's easy," he replied, seeming rather confused by my struggles. "Just tell her that you were wondering if she would come by the compound so that you could get to know her better and introduce her to your father. It's a text, (Y/N), she's not going to be able to tell from your voice or body language that you are lying. Besides, you are one of the most convincing liars I have every met, clearly you are just trying to delay contacting her because you're nervous."

"Well of course I'm nervous, I am going to be giving her access to all of the Avengers and if she truly is evil, give her the opportunity to hurt us."

"(Y/N), you are going to be keeping her in a room that she can easily be locked up in and I don't think one person could take down all of the Avengers at once. Trust me, if you can't then no one can."

I punched his arm lightly, "I'm not the most powerful person in the universe, Peter, although I may have fooled you into thinking otherwise. Besides Thanos whooped our asses pretty badly, whose to say he would have lost against the Avengers banded together?"

"Because he was foiled by an insane teenager and a emo god with daddy issues," Peter replied, causing me to crack a smile.

However the moment was broken when the sounds of a woman crying out for help caught our attention. We sprung into action, capturing a visual of the woman we had heard and rushing to her aid. There were only three men mugging her, meaning it was a piece of cake to web them up and return the stolen items to the woman.

"Thank you so much," she breathed as she took my hands in hers, still seeming quite shaken by everything that had happened. "I don't care what the papers say, you are truly a hero."

Her compliment warmed me and I replied, "I'm just doing my job, ma'am. Have a lovely night."

Peter rushed over to me a placed his arm on my wrist tilting his head to the street next us, "there's something off with that man over there."

"What? Are you getting a tingle about him?" I teased while checking out the man in question.

He groaned, "you've been talking to May again, haven't you?"

"Oh come on, I think it's cute. Anyway, we should follow him and see what he's up to. See if that spidey sense of yours is still up to snub."

Contrary to popular belief, bright blue and red does not blend into, well, anything. Whereas I could easily blend into the shadows, Peter stuck out like a sore thumb, so we had to be careful to keep our distance especially since the man kept looking around his surroundings nervously. He finally stopped outside of an abandoned warehouse, his eyes scanning for anyone following him one last time.

"A warehouse? Really? That's so cliché," I muttered, watching as he knocked on the door. "Pete, can you hear what he's saying?"

Peter paused, listening closely as the man's lips moved slightly. Then he nodded, "he's definitely Hydra."

"How do you know? Aren't Hydra agents supposed to be a little more inconspicuous?"

"(Y/N), the thing you need to say to get in is literally 'hail hydra.'"

"Are you being serious?"

In response Peter approached the warehouse door and knocked on it, imitating the agent we had followed. He muttered the words that the agent had and the door opened for us. I took the opportunity the knock on the guard, dragging him away from the door and ripping off his uniform.

"Well it's a good thing that these uniforms come with helmets, at least that will help mask our identities," I spoke as I deactivated my suit and got dressed in the guard's clothes.

"Hey, why do you get to go in undercover? In the one who figured out how to get in," Peter argued as I pulled the helmet onto my head.

I flashed him a smile, "because he's obviously not your size and I'm better at this covert stuff anyway. I promise I'll bring out someone whose uniform you might actually fit in."

With that, I pushed the warehouse door back open and slipped inside, careful to keep my head down and not attract any unnecessary attention. It was certainly a downgrade compared to the other Hydra bases we had raided and it made me feel a hint of satisfaction knowing that we had beaten the organization down to this. However, I knew Peter would be getting antsy if I did not return soon, so I tore attention away from the base itself and started surveying the agents for someone roughly Peter's size.

There were a lot more survivors than I was expecting, but still not an impressive number. However, they all paid no attention to me as I walked through the base, my eyes scanning each agent. Finally, I found someone that I knew Peter was close in stature to and approached him. As I got in earshot, I heard another agent order him to finish some paperwork, thankfully using his name.

"Hey, Skinner, is it? Could you help me out? The guard said there's a slight situation outside and sent me to come get you. I don't know why he wanted you in particular, but he wants it to be hush hush so that the base doesn't erupt into chaos," I spoke, praying that this man was going to believe my story and I would not be forced to fight a base of soldiers.

"You new?" He questioned, looking me up and down.

"Not exactly," I replied truthfully. "I was at one the bases the Avengers raided and have been recovering since. I did just arrive at this base today, but I've been working for Hydra for about four years now?"

"Yeah, I don't need your entire life story," he interrupted, sounding quite annoyed with me. "Come on, let's see what's going on out there."

I hurried to keep up with his brisk pace, mildly shocked by how my outrageous plan worked. As soon as we were outside, I knocked the agent unconscious and Peter swung down next to me. He started stripping the guard as he looked up me, "you know, I was half expecting you not to come back out and investigate by yourself."

"I would never leave you behind, Spidey. Now hurry up, we don't want to get caught out here."

Once Peter had finished changing, we entered the base together and began investigating. We exchanged brief comments as we walk down the length of the warehouse, careful not to be overheard by anyone around us. As we neared the end of the warehouse, Peter spoke, "we should probably call the Avengers to raid this place."

I froze as we found ourselves facing four creatures that had become quite familiar to us. Not daring to move a muscle, I breathed, "Yeah, we should probably do that. (A/I) can you send these coordinates back to the compound? Tell them that we found the Hydra Four."

-

(A/N): And they're back! This is lowkey based off of ASM Vol 1 #522 and the next chapter will have similarities to #523, but obviously they're very different considering the drastically different cast of characters as well as the different circumstances! Anyway, I hope you enjoyed!