chapter twenty three

23: A Family Reunion

ALLI

"Oh! It's you again! Dear, I missed you!"

Even before I step foot in the McGuire residence, I was attacked by hugs and kisses, courtesy of Ms. Delaney. Her enthusiasm might have terrified Daryll, as the man looked back at us in horror.

The women cupped my cheeks. "It's surprising that you bought her again! And look, she's glowing without her wounds! You are so beautiful!"

"Um... thanks-"

"Oh! She could be friends with Alexid! Have you introduced her to the girl? She might be intimidating but that girl is actually sweet!"

"Mom," Daryll spoke up, causing Delaney to whip her head to her side to look at him. "Calm down. And if it makes you happy, she's actually best of friends with her."

Delaney's eyes went wide like a fish, "Oh really?! That's good to hear!"

"So, if you could let us go and maybe... hangout?"

She chuckled upon hearing his choice of words, smirking afterwards. "Sounds delightful, Daryll. Didn't know you were a gentleman yourself! But sure, enjoy yourselves!"

"Finally!" Daryll had a breathe of relief, quickly holding my hand to guide me as to where we were going.

My decision to follow him here was unplanned. I didn't know this talk would led me to his house, again. But judging from what he told me at the coffee shop, I had to consider. I had to hear what he has to say, rather I had to know what he wants me to know.

We went upstairs, and got inside his room. It still looks the same, like the last time. A king-sized bed with on the left side of the room, and on the opposite side lies an oak table with his things. He quickly lets go of my hand, showing off a small smile, that wanted me to assure I'll be fine.

He suddenly looked up, pulling a latch on the visible opening on the ceiling of his room. The opening revealed a metal ladder that extends up to the room floor.

He turned back, offering a hand. "This way."

With no words as reply, I only followed in silence, going up the ladder that ultimately leads to their rooftop.

I quickly felt the hot air blow my hair out as soon as my face came in contact with the kinda spacious rooftop. It wasn't fancy as the movies would describe. At least, in his own home.

There was only a white plain blanket placed on the brown roof just enough for us to sit. Surprisingly enough, the rays of the sun did not irritate my skin, I even enjoyed it, a rare thing I do. I always preferred night, over day.

These two things offered different moods and themes when I try looking at it. At day, the trees looked so lovely and colorful, the bright blue sky looked so heavenly. At night, the moon and stars twinkle, the darkness-filled streets only got lit with streetlights that looked like fireflies from afar.

How life works is strange, isn't it, Alli?

"What' you thinking?" the man finally spoke after a couple of minutes sitting beside me.

"Everything."

"I'm gonna be honest with you... I never really expect myself to bring someone else here other than Alexid." his hands went on his sides, "Funny, isn't it?"

"I guess, but I'm still perplexed as of why bringing me here..."

He smiled before answering. "I always go here to think things through. It's a relaxing spot just to unwind and actually have a decent conversation with someone. I think it's much better to talk to you here, than the coffee shop. I mean this is what I was going to show you, but I think I had to clarify as of why."