chapter twenty six

26: Careless

ALLISON

A week after our stay in the hospital, we finally got discharged. But I was advised to stay at home and rest for a week, so my family doctor can check my condition if I can go to school, but I insisted going. I ignored the messages on my inbox, and kept a straight face, going inside the room.

Glancing at my right, there was Dexter's smile. It was very sarcastic. Proud. His venomous eyes followed my figure, as I take my seat.

Doubts suddenly started forming inside my head.

Was it right that I followed him? Was it right to actually trust my instincts? Was it right to go alone to protect Royals?

I asked questions in my head, but none of them can't erase the guilt and pain that I felt towards Alexid. She was just concerned.

And yet you ignored.

I want to move on with the present.

But you're still stuck in the past.

I stared upon the empty seat beside me. Suddenly, Evan materialized at the said chair. Wearing his uniform, he was looking back at me. From his gloomy aura, I can tell he's sad. His mouth is slightly pouted.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Everything." his eyes twinkled. "Me. You. Them. Everything."

"H-How? Why?"

"Seems like... there's still a lot to do. You have to see the other light of things."

"A lot? Evan, what do you mean?"

He just offered a faint smile as a reply. I stared at him but I can't see a hint of what he's talking about.

"Good morning class!" I whipped my head to the side, only to see my English teacher already in front of the table.

I sighed, when I realized Evan wasn't there anymore.

Suddenly, his words processed in my head. Everything isn't right. Nothing about this is right.

Alexander shouldn't be involved. My father has nothing to do with this. Looking back, his eyes were still the same. Relentless, dark, fierce. He showed the same aura when he went face to face with my cousin, Leslie. Of course, the girl wouldn't back down.

Somehow, I did. The anger in his eyes melted the barrier I built against people. Everybody already told me to listen, but I was hard-headed when it comes to him. I just know that I could understand him. No one does, but there's this feeling that I know what he's thinking.

But it's not the case this time. He wasn't the only one involved. Alexid got involved too.

***

"How are you holding up?" March asked as soon as we got in the school cafeteria.

"Wow bes, tinanong mo pa eh alam mo namang may problema ang tao!" even though it was a whisper, I could still hear Aira.

"Kaya nga tinatanong kung okay eh!"

I tried to put up a smile. "I'm fine."

Aira looked somewhere, 'till a smile formed on her face as if she saw someone. "Uy! Ate Alexid! Dito ka..."

She trailed off, still looking behind me.

"Hindi siya uupo sa'ten? Bakit?" Aira asked. Quickly, March nudged her elbow on Aira's ribs, which made the latter wince.