chapter thirty seven

37: Triumph (Last Chap)

ALLISON

I fell on my knees, a sharp sound surrounding the whole room. I heard Leslie's cry of anger towards the man above me, looking down, but his chin up. I looked up to him, holding my cheek.

"I did not ask you to be a disgrace, Allison." Don Lorenzo's tone was a pitch higher, "but you dare to be one by messing with the enemy!"

My eyes were trying to catch his own ones, yet it seemed to evade mine. As if I was a mere peasant in his home. What I instead caught, was Leslie's worried look, asking if I was okay.

I nodded, despite the fact that my cheeks felt painful as the stab wound I had from Dexter a few days back.

I still consider myself lucky, as he let me heal first before confronting him. I have a love-hate relationship towards him. Hate, being the idea of having a clan with a set of rules to follow, and love, for how the Arguello's are true and loyal to their act of kindness, and was one of the reason why I had the upper hand over Dexter in terms of connections.

"I had to do it. Would you mind thinking if I haven't tried to fight off the younger Mariano, what would've happened to me?"

"Are you doubting the rules of this family?"

I scoff. "The Mariano's has been harassing people. We experienced it before hand, and it is our loyalty for our people to cease their acts, but why hadn't you done something about it? We have nothing to lose, abuelo."

Don Lorenzo clicked his tongue. "Your courage... very very familiar. The very same tone of voice you used is the same as your mother Amparo who pleaded to let her marry Martin."

"The point is?"

"The loyalty you bear must be faltering..."

My palms barely touched the cold, marble floor when I stood, leveling his flaming eyes. "It's not. I only had found a way to defend myself that you can't do."

"Can't do?" Don Lorenzo leaned closer, the wrinkles on his face visible on my sight. "The family protected you. When you went to that club, when you called the police on your school, when you started losing yourself."

I unconciosuly had bit my tongue, the burning rage earlier started faltering. His words rang in my head, and I hated it because he's right. The family had helped me from the start. I wanted to have a fair battle, but bearing his surname got me the upper hand as I mentioned.

"I am not a villain, Allison." his voice suddenly turned soft. "You know what happened to Leslie, and I certainly remember what you did and I will forever appreaciate you for it, but you're not in a good state right now."

After minutes of contemplating silence, I had my head down.

Maybe he was right.

As soon as I got home, I've chosen to stay at my room for the longest time. I had myself curled up on my bed, thoughts flying all over my head. I was interrupted the vibration my phone had made. It was because of the flooding messages. Most are from the Royals GC, but one of them was from Marie.

Unknown Number

You be better 'aight.

Take time to rest your mind.

U did great u r always gr8 my friend

don't reply in this # trust me