chapter thirty five

35: It's My Loyalty

a.n. // trigger warning

ALLISON

I wish I could go back to the time where the only thing I need to care about, is the school forums from the school's website.

Go back to the time when Phoenix was friends with me.

Perhaps, back to the time when Evan was alive.

Back to the time when everything was peaceful. But was it really? With the presence of gamechangers in my 8th grade, Asplund was never at peace from that moment on.

But my life was. I was fine with it. I only watched the war from afar, admiring the silence within my zone. Everyone else didn't matter for me anyway, knowing where we'd end up when we grow old.

Not until they decided to step into my zone.

Change was that thing that I hate and love at the same time. I hated it for changing the way I live now. I love it for changing my friends for the better.

Everything in my eyes appeared to be slow. As I approached the man who was the very root to all the change that happened to me, my eyes started flashing memories. The sight of Evan's deceiving smiles. The smell of rain pouring down the earth as I stare back at his tombstone. The sound of Alexid's scream while being cornered by Allan and his friends. The taste of my own blood spewing from the wounds on my face. The assuring touch of my friends when I began losing it.

My eyes were quick to spot his clenched fist, on its way to my jaw. Ducking my head, I raised my fist, pulling it up to meet his jaw. I succeeded, making him stumble back.

His eyes were still focused on me, while his fists were shaking, probably itching to draw the first blood between us. However, he tried using his feet to kick my shin, yet I was fast enough to block the kick, and landing a punch on the side of his face.

Our structured dance continued like this. The more I evade and return his attacks, the more I see his agitation. Eyes twitching, fingers shaking, while groaning in gritted teeth, getting a hold of himself.

I wanted to laugh, seeing myself in him when I met eyes with my father after long years of his disappearance.

Rage made him blind.

He then, tried to go forward and attack again. This time, he had seemed to relax as he was able to evade my attacks too, and even managed to land a punch on me.

I stumbled back, but didn't expect to fall on the ground from a strong force on my chest, as I heard leaves crunch at the impact. Even before I managed to get up, I felt his weight on my stomach, and the sudden lost of air as I felt his hands strangle my neck.

"T*ngina mo! Mamatay ka na, Carpio!" he yelled at me, followed by consecutive curses, he would tighten his hold every word he says.

Unfortunately for him, he wasn't informed that I am not one that panics in a hold like this. My free hand distinctly grabbed a fistful of his hair, pulling it towards me, and shoved my fingers onto both of his eyes.

He cried in pain, his hold loosening, but still kept his hands there. I was bombarded with more of his curses, my fingers almost deep on his eyeballs, until a kick on his shin got him off me.

I coughed, trying to catch air, as I felt someone behind me helped me sit.

"That sick bastard."