Chapter 5: The Sharpest Lives Are The Deadliest to Lead

The bright sun beats down on my eyelids, calmly rustling me from my sleep. Muscle aches and pains become evident as I take notice of my surroundings. At first, I am a bit frightened as the scenery is unfamiliar to me, though it settles in that I am still at Gerard's apartment. We are both still on his couch and he is tracing circles on my forearm. I must've slid onto his lap or he must've pulled me there because I don't remember falling asleep in this position. Almost everything hurts this morning, from the heaviness of my eyelids down to the throb of my thighs. The welts on my wrists sting and the burns on my skin are just as bad. Gerard notices my movement and looks down at me.

"Good morning," Gerard says, a smile creeping onto his soft face. His peach fuzz is accentuated in the light, making his features appear softer.

"What time is it?" I ask, reality setting in that I probably have somewhere to be.

"It's almost noon," he replies. Shit. I missed school.

"Why didn't you wake me up?"

"You looked too peaceful to wake up. Plus, your body needed the rest." That was probably very true. I feel like I could sleep for another few years and still feel exhausted. There's a pressure in my head that keeps pulling me back to slumber. 

"Why didn't you go in to work?" I wonder.

"Didn't want to have you poking around my place while I was gone," he answers calmly. He leans forward and grabs a blue coffee mug from the table before us, bringing it to his lips and taking a sip. The only thing passing through my mind as he said that is 'why not' and 'what are you hiding'.

"I should probably go home now," I say frantically, a certain unsettled feeling washing through my gut. I don't know why I should be scared, or afraid. I've trusted him enough to tie me up and blindfold me. Was it trust or just lust? I wish my head would shut up.

"I'll see you tomorrow at school..." I leave before he can protest. I remember that I left my shirt and boxers at his house and that I'm completely shirtless and covered in hickeys, welts and burns. I look like I've been raped. Well, I mean, technically, in front of the law, that's probably how it would be seen. He is my teacher after all. Shit. What have I gotten myself into? What have we done? I run back to his apartment and bang on the door, I definitely need my clothes back. He opens it, holding my shirt. With a smirk, he hands it to me. I turn around to walk out, slipping my shirt on at the same time.

I bump into a woman while my head is in the shirt. She helps me pull it down. When my head pokes through the neck of my shirt, I see that she's about 50 or 60 years old. She has wrinkles but not too many and her roots are showing through her dyed hair, a few grey hairs poking through.

"How'd you get all those burns and lacerations?" She points to my wrist.

"Kinky sex," I say pushing past her, trying to get out of there as quickly as possible. She can either believe me or not but it's the honest truth. Anything else would've sounded really bad, not that that sounded great. She tries to stop me by grabbing my wrist but she didn't have a good grasp and I slip through her thin, cold hands. I pick up my pace and jog down the stairs until get outside. I take a moment to really look around, taking in my surroundings. It's so fucking sketchy out here. The buildings are the same grey as the pavement, with more cracks than the sidewalks. I could call my mom to come pick me up but I need to get a sweater or long sleeve shirt first. It won't go down well with her if she sees any of my exposed skin right now. Where could I go? I don't have any friends and my mom would probably be home for lunch right now. By the time I walk home, she'll have to be back at work, I hope. It'll be a long walk since I live on the other side of town, but I don't mind too much... It'll give me some time to think about things.