Chapter 12: Get Up And Go

Gerard drops me off at my house after school and tells me he'll pick me up in the morning. I immediately started packing when I got home. It made me realize how dirty and disgusting all my clothes were. They didn't just smell bad anymore, they were practically standing up on their own. Even the jeans I threw on this morning were muskier than they should've been and they had stains all over them. I gather up a bunch of clothes of mine and pick them up.

I run down the stairs with a pile of clothes in my arms and go to the washing machine. I set the clothes on the floor and grab the laundry detergent. Does it tell you how to do this shit or am I gonna have to wing it? I read the instructions and turn the water setting to cold and pour laundry soap in it. Hopefully that works. I've never done this before. I could check the Internet but the second I'm online, it won't be how to do laundry that I'll be searching. I know myself too well. I go and sit down, hoping that I'm doing this shit right.

My mom gets home a little past 6 and I've already done two loads of laundry. My folding skills suck ass but I'm shoving the clothes into a bag to go anyway. I pull my clothes out of the dryer and set them on top of it. I fold the last load of laundry I'm doing when my mom walks up to me.
"Frank, are you actually doing laundry?" My mom asks, shocked. I sigh.
"If you had to live with your own smell like I do, you'd die," I laugh. She shrugs and leaves me be. I put the clean and semi-folded clothes into a gym bag I have never yet used. I carry the bag upstairs, passing by my mom.
"What are you doing with the bag?" She questions as I'm walking up the stairs.
"I was gonna tell you tomorrow but I'm going on a road trip," I explain. I was gonna leave and text her after I was gone but I guess now I have to confront her. I drop the bag and walk back down the stairs.
"Where are you going?" She asks.
"I don't know," I reply.
"Who are you going with?"
"Mikey and his family." That was kinda the truth. Gerard is part of his family.
"When are you coming back?" I shrug.
"I hope you know what you're doing." Yeah, probably Gerard.
"Yes, mom. I know what I'm doing. You can trust me," I sigh.
"Call me if you need anything." I nod and go back upstairs. At least she didn't stop me. Hopefully she won't tomorrow morning either.

I head upstairs and think about what I need to do. I need to shower. I shower quickly, washing my hair and the stench of myself off myself. About an hour passes of me thinking and cleaning myself. I get out of the shower once the water gets cold and I head straight to bed. By the time I get up tomorrow, it should be almost time to go.

At 9 am, Gerard calls me and tells me he's outside. I'm not ready so I'm racing to get all my things ready to go. I get dressed in actually clean clothes, for once, and I run outside. My mom isn't up yet so l scribble a note and stick it to the fridge that says 'I love you'. You never know when you're gonna die and I try my best to make sure the last thing I say to someone is a positive thing.

I carry my bag out the door and see Gerard parked in my driveway. I open the backseat and throw my bag in there with a grunt. It's heavier than I thought. When I take a seat in the passenger side and look at Gerard, I gasp and start laughing.
"Did you straighten your hair?" I ask.
"Shut up," he laughs.
"That doesn't answer my question and is that white makeup on your face or flour?"
"It's a long story. You'll see why in a few hours. I'm not done but I promised I'd do it," he explains.
"Who'd you promise?" I ask.
"Mikey."

---------