Chapter 8: Mama

School comes around again and I'm barely able to pull myself out of bed. Yesterday was exhausting. I have something to look forward to at least. I skip breakfast and leave before my mom can force something down my throat.

The walk to school was completely empty of life, which thankfully meant nobody to attack me.

The whole day was a blur. I didn't see Gerard anywhere in the halls but I never really did, I guess. Maybe he's not here? No, he should be here. Why wouldn't he be?

I stumble into his classroom a little early and see a woman in his place. She turns to face me.

"Fuck," I mutter. I recognize her. It's the older woman who helped me pull my shirt on when I was leaving Gerard's. I hope she doesn't recognize me. She'll probably recognize me. I have to keep my head down and not speak and completely hide myself. What are the fucking odds? Of course I came early to see Gerard and maybe sneak in a kiss before class but now I have an extra five minutes with this woman and if she recognizes me... Oh God. Would she clue in that I came from Gerard's apartment? Where the fuck is he?

"I have to go to the bathroom," I mumble and set my bag on my desk before walking out of the class. The second I'm out of the class, I pull out my phone and call Gerard.

"Hey," he says sleepily as he answers the phone.

"Where are you?" I shout.

"Home. Wasn't feeling well," he replies.

"I'm so scared," I blurt out. I hear him move, possibly sitting up?

"Why? What's wrong, babe?" He asks.

"The chick replacing you in class bumped into me when I was leaving your apartment shirtless the other day," I explain.

"Shit," he mumbles.

"What do I do?" I ask.

"Bail. Get out of there," he instructs.

"But I left my bag in the class."

"Get it and get the fuck out, say you're not feeling okay."

"Okay," I reply and hang up.

I head back into class and it's already mostly full. I go to grab my bag and leave but the supply teacher closes the door and goes back to the front of the class to take attendance. Shit. She starts calling out names.

"Frank Iero," she calls out after a few other names.

"Here," I whisper lifting my arm. She gets through the list and there are about 5 people not here today.

"Miss... Uh... I'm not feeling good. Can I go to the office?" I ask. She shakes her head.

"You look fine," she counters. I stand up.

"But-"

"Sit down!" She shouts. I sit back down.

"Okay class, Gera-I mean, Mr. Way isn't here today and I'm going to be replacing him for the day. I'm a supply teacher but never did I think I'd be asked to take my son's place," she laughs. Fuck. This woman is Gerard's mom. Thank fuck I left when I did the other day, she was probably going to his apartment.

I keep my head down the whole class, doodling on the desk. I completely block out her teaching. Whatever Gerard had planned for the class today, he could explain to me later. The class is coming to an end, there are 5 minutes left. I wrap my hand around the strap on my bag, ready to go.

"Frank, I need to see you after class," she tells me. Shit, she must've seen me getting ready to bolt. The bell rings and I stay seated.

"I really have to go..." I try.