Chapter 48: From The Razor To The Rosary

When I wake up, Gerard isn't beside me and there's a baby crying. I head out to check on the situation and I see Gerard trying to calm Fletcher down without any success. I approach him and take Fletcher from him.  I check his diaper and sure enough, that's why he's upset. I change it quickly and Fletcher's crying subsides. I set Fletcher down in his highchair. I walk over to Gerard who has been sitting on the couch since I took the baby. He looks up at me as I sit down beside him.

"How long've you been up?" I ask him. He shrugs.

"Longer than I remember," he replies.

"Where's Mikey?"

"He's just out getting some coffee because we ran out and the stores are closed. I asked him to get you one too. I figured if you didn't wake up, I'd just drink it," he says.

"Too bad I woke up then," I laugh. He rubs his eyes and smiles.

"Why were you awake?"

"Couldn't sleep."

"Well no shit but why not?"

"Stress," he replies.

"What do you have to be stressed about?"

"A lot of things... I'm going Christmas shopping today if you wanna come with me. I already have your gifts so I don't have to make you stay here," he winks at me. I don't have anything for him and I don't have any money to get him anything either.

"What do you want for Christmas?" I ask him.

"Babe, I know you have no money so don't even worry about it. There are others... gifts you could give me," he says with a smirk. I slap him as lightly as possible and he laughs.

-

Mikey gets back with a tray of coffees in his hands and an exhausted look on his face. He pulls a chair from the table and sits near us in front of the TV. He hands me a coffee and Gerard one.

"I take it the doctor said Fletcher was fine or something?" I ask, suddenly remembering that that's where he had been yesterday.

"Yeah, he said Fletcher would be fine," Mikey replies. After that, we sit together, not saying a word as we drink our coffee and stare at 4 am infomercials for a little while. Soon the sun comes up and the normal day channels return.

"We should go," Gerard says shortly after the sun is up and Fletcher's asleep.

"Alright," I reply. He starts touching his chin, feeling the stubble growing there. I never really paid much attention to when he shaved but I know he must've because the hair rarely stayed long.

"Should I shave?" He asks, lifting an eyebrow.

"We're just going shopping," I say, seeing no actual point for it.

"I'll be back," he says and disappears into the bathroom. When he returns, there's a bandage on his chin.

"Nicked yourself with the razor?" I ask and he nods. Gerard and I leave to get a head start on shopping and Mikey goes to sleep after putting Fletcher in his crib.

Gerard never actually takes us to the mall but instead we go to this little neighborhood in the middle of town.

"I'm just going to make a pitstop first... This is where my parents live," he says, pulling over and turning the car off.

"So this is where you grew up?" I ask, looking around at the houses that are decorated with lights and nativity scenes.

"Unfortunately," he sighs. He zips up his coat and locks the car.