4 - Typical Trip

Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. ~Napoleon Hill

Michael's POV

Of course, I had decided to go back to the library in hopes to find Luke. I did not really understand why I liked being around him so much, I just did.

I was only heading out of the school building when I was stopped by Calum.

"Hey Mikey," He said. "Wanna hang out? Vanessa, Garret and I are going to the arcade."

"Um, sorry I can't. I already have plans." I smiled. "Maybe another time."

"Okay." Calum shrugged and walked off. I liked that about him, he really was not nosey like the majority of people I have ever met.

So, I walked into the library and around some shelves and saw Luke sitting at a table clicking away on a laptop.

"Funny, I thought I would never see you doing anything but reading." I smiled as I sat down next to him. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing important." Luke shrugged and closed his laptop so I could not see the screen. "And you seem to be visiting me again, correct?"

"Yes."

"Are you here to tell me more horrendous jokes?" Luke titled his head to the side in the cutest manor.

"Um..No." I said and watched Luke frown. "What?"

"It is a shame, I liked your bad jokes." Luke said. "But it is perfectly acceptable if you don't wish to tell them."

"I thought you didn't like them?" I said in confusion. Luke, the smartest kid ever, likes my dumb jokes?

"You seem to balance out the amount of intelligence I get spoken to about with your amount of stupidity." Luke shrugged.

"Uh, you're welcome?"

"Well, that's the only probable reason I can think of." Luke said. "Otherwise I do not quite understand why I would like them."

"Cause I'm adorable!" I smile and see one form on Luke's lips.

"That is not a reason though." Luke said in a matter-of-fact way, well, he always talks like that though.

"Yeah it is." I argued.

"Provide evidence."

"Huh?"

"Prove it."

"Oh." I smiled. "Well, you could like my dumb jokes because I'm adorable and me being adorable makes you want to be my friend."

"Alright." Luke chuckled. "I will give you the satisfaction of saying 'sure'."

"Yay!" I responded. "Now we can hug!" I opened my arms for Luke and he looked me up and down but did not move. "C'mon, hug me."

"For a starters, Michael, hugging is primarily a standing activity - " He said and I stood up. "Futhermore, I do not participate in the act of 'hugging'."

"What? C'mon Luke, just this once." I pouted and he shook his head. "Lukey.. Please?"

"Lukey?" Luke went wide eyed. "My name is Luke."

I huffed and sat back down. "It's a nickname, silly."

"Oh." Luke said and he carried a look that showed he was thinking. "So, are what the other kids refer to me as, nicknames as well?"

"What do the other kids call you..?" I knew this wouldn't be good.

"Usually the same kind of names. Egghead, nerd, geek, -" Okay those aren't so bad. "Trash, bug-guts, toilet, -" Well, that's still not bad. "Um.." Luke's voice grew quieter. "Ugly, fag, fat, disgusting, fuck-up, worthless, freak -"