33 - Find Out The Truth

Science has not yet taught us if madness is or is not the sublimity of the intelligence. ~Edgar Allan Poe

Luke's POV

I walked outside after school, Michael didn't wait for me this morning like he normally does, I worked straight through lunch. So I walked outside and expected to see Michael. As I was walking to him, however, when he saw me he sped off.

"What..?" I mumbled to myself.

"Luke!" I turned to Vanessa's voice.

"Why did Michael just head far from me? Did I make some kind of mistake that I get have not had the virtue to discover?" I asked.

"I don't know, but if we're going to talk, we need to talk. Now." Vanessa said.

"Well it seems as if I have nothing else on my schedule for the evening so I suppose we can speak now." I said.

"Good, good." Vanessa breathe out as she nervously played with her fingers. She dragged me all the way to the library and I noticed the sky take over in dark gray clouds.

"Why are you telling me now?" I asked.

"Because I can't tell you on Friday but I can now." Vanessa said as we walked up the steps. She pulled me into the darkest section of the library, people rarely sat here.

"I know, you want an answer." Vanessa said. "And I'm here to give it to you, so let's start all over."

Vanessa took a deep breath. "Michael and I were best friends for years, ever since we were young. Really young. And when we began highschool, I don't really know what happened. I guess we just wanted to make sure we fit in and we didn't get bullied. So that's when we met Victor and Brandon. Victor had this plan in his head to be on top. But that required people like you to get hurt. And although it didn't seem like it, I hate what I did to people like you. And then all of a sudden, Michael saw you and he wanted you like he's wanted no one else. So I suppose I guess I got jealous. Thinking I lost Michael because I did, because I was a bad person. Because I hurt you. So, in my grief I was approached by Natalie. We made a deal, if we could get the two of you to break up, then I could have Michael and she could have you. And she said she would convince Michael to dump you, so I never got my hands dirty. And it was a few plans. Darren was one, we were another, and there was one more. Deviously enough she would turn you each against the other. But I couldn't go though with it. I couldn't hurt Michael's happiness. I told Natalie that, and she sold me out. I lost all my friends, everyone I ever cared about, and I ended up alone." Vanessa shakily continued. "I regret everything I've done, and I'm not looking for a happy ending. I'm not looking for forgiveness. I'm simply trying to clear the air. Luke, you're good for Michael. Michael won't want anything to do with me, but if at the end of the day I know I left him with you. In your capable hands then, well then I could die with satisfaction."

"Die?" I cut her off.

"Maybe in like sixty years." Vanessa shrugged. "Anyways, Natalie isn't done yet. You've seen, she's already starting to turn Terri and Ettie against you. Everyone, Ashton, Calum, Winston, Gena, even Michael, will follow." Vanessa paused. "Luke, you can not let that happen. Don't let someone destroy what you've taken so long to create. I don't want you to end up where I have. Needless to say I deserved it. But you deserve all the happiness someone can give."

"What caused you to have this epiphany, Vanessa? What caused your soul to differ from the rest?" I asked.

Vanessa gave a small smile. "You."

"How on earth did I have any impact on your positive choices?" I sighed.

"Luke, your more then Mikey's miracle. You're mine too. This entire worlds. While you are a nerd, we all know it, you have some sort of..Innocence to you. Like no matter what you just make people happy wherever you go." Vanessa smiled.

"Well, that was certainly corny." I smirked.

"I thought you could use more vegetables in your diet." Vanessa laughed.

"Ah ah ah, but corn goes right through you. It is useless for the body because it does not get processed for nutrients." I said.

"Luke I want to punch you for saying that."

"I cannot tell if you are serious or if you are trying to use sarcastic humor." I said.

"Wanna find out?" Vanessa grinned.

"No I am perfectly, acceptably fine." I laughed.

"Idiot boy." Vanessa smirked.

It's odd, never in a thousand years did I expect to be sitting in a library with my enemy, laughing and enjoying her presence.

It was a good feeling.

"Look, Luke. As much as I am enjoying myself I gotta get going." Vanessa said as the two of us stood up.

"It's alright." I smiled. "It was a good talk."

Vanessa just smiled for a second before throwing her arms around my neck and squeezing me tightly. I was a little shocked at first but managed to find myself in time to wrap my arms around her.

"Thank you." She whispered. "Thank you for making this worth while."

"Worth while? What do you mean?" I asked as I pulled back slightly.

"I'll tell you one day Luke." Vanessa patted my cheek. "Bye Luke."

I smiled. "Goodbye Vanessa."

AUTHOR'S NOTIFICATION

Awh I really liked this chapter I thought it was cute. Thoughts?

And I'm thinking this will last about forty chapters since I think I'm reaching the end. Because I know how I want it to end. So I'm sad it's almost over but it'll be good. I promise.

Hugs, Kisses, Cuddles and Serenades xX