36 - It's Okay

It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness. ~Charles Spurgeon

Michael's POV

I pulled Luke into my house as he continued sniffling. I couldn't tell if it was from him crying or not.

"What happened?" My mother gaped at Luke when we walked inside.

"Not now please." I sighed.

"Michael it looks like you've wet yourself." My mother sighed. I glared at Luke who gave a small smile.

"Look we can talk about this later, right now I have to clean Luke up. He's covered in lemonade." I said.

"What?!" My mother gasped. "I thought that was snow! It's lemonade?"

"Yeah." I sighed. "Some jerk squirted him with it."

"Oh no! Poor Luke." My mother frowned. She always seemed be around more often since she met Luke, she must've really liked him. "Why don't you take a shower, dear?"

Luke looked to me for confirmation.

"Go ahead, love." I smiled softly at him. He nodded and went to the bathroom.

"Who did it?" My mother asked as soon as the water started.

"Darren." I scoffed.

"Darren? Aren't you two friends?" My mother said. "I mean I never liked him, but I won't tell you you can't be friends with him."

"I don't know who my friends are anymore." I sighed as I sat on the couch.

"Michael, what's going on?" My mother said as she sat next to me.

"What do you care?!" I snapped. I had never had a comforting mother, and it was shocking and unnerving to have one now.

"Michael I'm your mother." She sighed and stood up. "If you don't want to talk about it, we won't. I'll make you and Luke something to eat."

"Thank you." I sighed as I leaned back on the couch. "Hey will you bring me some Advil, please?"

"Sure thing." My mother replied and soon came back with a glass of water and two blue pills.

"Thank you." I said.

"Shouldn't you be fetching Luke some clothes?" My mother asked as she returned to the kitchen.

"Yeah I'm on it." I sighed as I stood up and walked upstairs, grabbing Luke a change of clothes. I walked over to the bathroom and tapped on the wooden door with my knuckles.

"Yeah?" Luke's voice called from the inside.

"I'm coming in." I said and opened the door. I was engulfed in the steam of the bathroom but I set the clothes down on the sink. "Hey, I'm just leaving you some clothes."

"Thank you Mikey." Luke said.

"You're welcome." I said as I walked out. I felt so bad for Luke, he didn't deserve this. What Darren did to him was unacceptable and I was going to make sure he knew it.

I sat back down on the couch and clicked on a movie and waited for Luke to come back out.

"I've finished." Luke said as he walked in and sat next to me. His hair was matted down on his forehead and he was clean.

"I feel like I still hold the fragrance of lemons." Luke sighed.

"Yeah I don't know how to help you with that." I chuckled.