Chapter 2: Poisoning curiosity

I must have fallen asleep on the ground, because when I woke up, the fire in the fireplace had gone out and the lights have been turned off. The only light shining through the sheer curtains, was the moonlight.

Darkness had filled the art room when I sat up and rubbed over my tired eyes, ready to go to bed, my eyes widened when a howling wind blew through the room. I gulped and glanced at the shut window while rubbing over my goosebumps risen arms.

But when I was about to leave the room, the howling repeated and I held in my steps when something in the corner of the room caught my eyes.

I frown and gulped nervously, the windows where shut and the curtain's weren't moving but something clicked in the corner of the room. I jumped on my spot, with a hand resting over my racing heart I walked closer to the wall at the other end of the grand room inside this mansion.

We were surrounded by a deep forest, it wasn't uncommon to hear foreign sounds at night whenever I've visited their mansion but this howling was coming from the inside of this room that made me suddenly uneasy.

The closer I walked towards the wall, the more I frown. At the very end of the room, at the lower half of the hall something had clicked open. I kneeled in front of it and my lips parted in confusion. It was something like a small door inside the wall, maybe a secret entry?

My hands were slightly shaking, when I lifted them to touch the open parting of the wall. With widened eyes I watched the wall suddenly move and the howling was back, even louder than before. I fell on my back in shock while watching a hidden secret unfold in front of my eyes. I don't know how I escaped the room but once I was standing in the hallway, chills were all over my body.

With a last glance at the room, my heart dropped when I saw the curtains move in the darkness in between the shining moonlight.

~

The next morning was the last day of my visit at my grandparents mansion outside of the city. Images of last nights events were running through my mind and igniting something inside me, that my rather simple life wasn't used to. Adrenaline, fear and definitely curiosity.

"I have a question" I said at dinner, smiling awkwardly and playing with the fork in my hand.

"What is it dear?" My grandmother smiled at me.

I gulped and my stomach twisted at the images of last night. "Are there any secret entries inside the walls? If I'm not mistaken, last night I saw something similar to a door on the wall." I curiously looked between them, waiting for an answer to my question when they both stopped and widened their eyes.

Uneasiness lingered in my chest and I suddenly regretted my question. The smile disappeared from my grandmother's lips and tension filled the hall.

"Did you touch the wall?" My grandfather's serious tone broke the silence and I shuddered.

"I-" I stuttered nervously.

"You'll never touch that wall again! Am I clear Y/N?!" I flinched when he suddenly raised his voice at me. The fork fell out of my hand and I lowered my head. This was the first time I've seen him angry and it was my fault.

"I'm sorry." I whispered and stood up from my seat to walk inside my room and pack my bags.

~

After packing my bags I went up to my grandparents to say goodby. My grandmother was the only one to wish me farewell as she sat on my bed and caressed my head.

"He is old, don't take it to heart my dear. You know you're his favorite grandchild and he is very protective of you. He has his own reasons but this mansion is very old and there could be secret entries made in the war, that we aren't of. Either way, it's not safe for you." She explained softly and I nodded.

"I was just curious." I explained, still hurt by the way my grandfather had shouted at me and she nodded.

"Sometimes curiosity leads us to dangerous consequences. Be careful my dear, it's better if you just forget what you saw."

And I wish I'd have listened to her and never  let this curiosity take over me.