Chapter 3: Smell nice (edited)

Chapter song: boy x - Tate Mcrae
Dedications: AshIsTheBeshh BluerosE202 bangwoolwho ShirineArmy thank you for being so supportive ♡

3
Stella

"You promised you'd come cover!" I pouted through my phone screen while face-timing my sister. Hugging my blanket around me tighter, I sat on the doorway staircase, watching the tiny drops of the waterfall and enjoying the smells of fresh soil while trying to solve my Math homework. I needed a tutor so desperately or I'll fail the exam.

"I'm so sorry Stel. I had an exam I needed to study for." She told me.

"I missed you being around. We missed you. The house feels empty without you."

She smiled warily, sitting crossed-legged on her bed with a book in hand. "I missed you too, so much. I promise I'll come over when I have the chance. Now tell me, did you enjoy the book?"

"What book? Oh, that book...I loved it" I smiled a little, remembering the sentence I read. "I almost forgot," I sat straighter "There is this parents' meeting tomorrow. Can you be there please?"

She narrowed her eyes. "Mom isn't?"

I closed my eyes a little my mouth in a thin line. "The thing is-"

"Stella," she groaned. "Low grades, again?"

"I swear I'll study harder. Please"

She sighed, throwing her head back. "Fine. Just remind me tomorrow. I need to talk to you about the grades thing." She raised her finger and I nodded quietly.

"What's keeping you from studying, huh? I know for a fact the book you borrowed wasn't for you. Still not over your secret crush?"

I covered my face with one hand, hearing her laugh a little. "I'm listening."

I rested my head on the stairs with a thick sigh switching my phone to the other hand. "You know that feeling when you admire someone so much that they consume your thoughts? To the point where when you're delighted they're the first person on your mind?"

"I do." She smiled dreamily.

"I thought he might love a girl who reads...I don't know Lily! I thought it might work. Then I ran after him until I couldn't breathe-"

"What?"

"Don't worry, I'm okay now. Anyways, his coach then came over and he was like Stella got tired." I whined, chest heaving. "I feel like I'm waiting for something that's not going to happen."

She laughed out loud covering her face with one hand. "You can be so crazy sometimes!"

"Wait-Stella. He said my name. He knows my name!" I shouted, standing so abruptly I almost tripped.

"You thought he didn't?"

"Yes." I breathed, my eyes watering.

"I'm so happy for you baby, but I want you to know that love comes to you when you least expect it. That's what happened to me at least and look how happy I am. Let things flow without trying to control them okay?" She ended with a smile before her friend called her over and she hung up. I held the phone in my hand staring at the night sky. He said my name and I felt like I held the stars in the palm of my hand.

***
I frowned as I stared at the bulletin board with my name at the end of the grades list. I knew I wasn't going to have high grades but I didn't expect I'd get the lowest. God, I would've gotten a tutor when I had the chance to but with the growing expenses and the lack of a part-time job I couldn't. I needed to study harder for the makeup exam.
Don't cry, Stella. You're going to get a better grade next time. I bitted on my lower lip, squeezing my eyes shut and feeling a fine moist of tears gather in the brick of my eyes.