chapter 28: Truth Coming Out

Chapter's song: Loved You Once- Clara Mae
Dedication: crispyjuice diamonthea Franda21
Stella POV:

A sudden coldness rippled up my arm as he gaped back at me in disbelief, the color draining from his face. Turning to Ashley I shouted whispered, "You told him, didn't you?"

"Couldn't stand to watch him be deceived by you."

Bile rose in my throat. "You must've left your part out." I feel my stomach sink at the pure disappointment masking his features. I knew he was bound to find out but I wanted to be the one to tell him.

"She's still trying to make up lies. See, told you she would do exactly that."

"Get out." He told her.

"Logan," her voice sank low.

"I told you to get out!" he fumed, slamming his hand on the table and making both of us yelp. She clenched her teeth with a nod before walking out and slamming the door on her way out.

"Is this real?" he stood facing me while waving my pictures. I nodded with a hard swallow. "It's you." he breathed, eyes roaming my face.

"Where you ever going to tell me? Why? Why did you have to lie to me and pretend? I don't understand. This entire time you enjoyed fooling me. You even used your cousin in your messed-up plan!"

"My sister,"

"What?" he breathed.

"She's my sister, not my cousin." His expression looked so fragile.

I pressed my lips together forcing the words out. "I was going to tell you. I promise."

He shook his head, sliding my picture down the table before he sat down and buried his face in his palms. "When, Emily? No, wait. I should call you Stella."

"Logan,"

"Don't. I trusted you." he shouted, making me flinch, "I  told you about her several times, about you. I opened up to you about the way I was feeling when you were gone. You didn't feel guilty? Sorry? That's not the Stella I know. It's someone entirely else. Someone I barely recognize. So distant and-"

"Mean? Heartless?" I shouted. "What everyone did to me wasn't? Their bullying, disgusted stares, constant whispers behind my back, teasing, and silly jokes! I'm only mean for coming back healthy and deciding to change my name and pretend? When we both know it's only my outer appearance that changed and nothing else!"

I then rounded the table and snatched my notebook from his hold feeling it stiff in my hands. "I'm sure you read it and thought of how pathetic I was."

"I-"

"Pretend you love reading? I did that even though I found it boring and still do. I tried running after you when my lungs used to ache and when my weight dragged me down but I ran still. Spent hours preparing my special cookie recipe for you but you didn't care, you never did."

He held my gaze, swallowing hard and visibly. "I always cared. I still do."

"I had my love confession played in front of the whole school at your birthday and get laughed at. I wished you said something back then. Anything really, but you didn't."

"I was terrified to admit I loved you. I thought it was only a crush that would go away."

"You were ashamed to date a fat girl like everyone called me. Fat Stella. You had your reputation and didn't want to risk it."