Chapter 19: A bully like you (edited)

Chapter's song: Worst of you- Maisie Peters
Dedication: anemoi00

Stella POV:

I woke up the next day to an angry bird hugged to my chest and a piercing headache. I kept clearing my throat which was sore while I looked at the plushy toy. Why am I taking his jokes and teasing seriously? Didn't he always like to mess with me like that? After I left him, I turned off my phone and buried myself under layers of blankets while I watched Top Chef. Whatever I did and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get him out of my mind.

"Stella, want me to drive you to school?" My sister yelled from the corridor.

"I'll go with Kai," I replied, heading to the bathroom and brushing my teeth. The area under my eyes looked puffy and swollen.

"I cleaned the attic yesterday and found your old books. Check if you need them, so I could donate the rest." She said, peeking her head through the door. I gave her a weak nod and stumbled onto the edge of the bed, feeling my muscles sag and weaken.

Putting on my uniform was a tiring task because everything I moved my head sideways, a sharp pain would pass through my head. Faintly, I grabbed the books she told me about and placed them in my bag, making a mental note to check them at school.

"You've been so quiet ever since breakfast." Kai nudged me lightly as we walked to the bus stop.

"I feel sick," I admitted and he gave me that look.

"No. Not menstrual pain. Girls could get sick because of something else." I reminded him with a soft laugh and he chuckled, hugging me sideways. "How did you spend your weekend?

"I went grocery shopping and spent the rest of the day binge-watching anime. Also," he squealed, "I got you a headband." He pulled it out of his bag. It was blue, my favorite color, and had tiny stars. I beamed, giving him a soft smile and then tying it with a notch. He fixed my hair while I pulled a few tendrils out.

"What about you? Anything interesting happened?"

"I'll tell you but promise you won't make a scene." He nodded repeatedly, "I went out on a date with Aiden."

"Say what?" he shouted, grabbing the attention of the women at the bus stop beside us.

"It wasn't a real date. Katy insisted I go along on a double date and Aiden surprisingly agreed."

"Wow." He whispered to himself and then smiled wickedly. "Did you fight? I'm not to witness another argument. I'll be traumatized."

I shook my head, crossing one leg over the other while playing with the hem of my skirt. "He... how should I put it? Well, he joked about me falling for him and I took the joke too seriously, I guess."

"He did what?"

"Will you stop shouting?" I scolded with a laugh.

"My ship is finally sailing!"

"What ship Kai?"

"Aiden and Stella's ship. In the deep ocean with several little angry birds jumping around."

I stood up, crossing my hands with a pout. "There's no ship, Kai. It's parked on the port so peacefully. Clear blue sky. Clouds ironed out, and all that."

He placed his hands around my shoulder with a sideways grin. "Look at me, do you love him?" I glanced past his shoulders, twirling my necklace around my fingers.

"Wait- is that the necklace he got you?" I followed his line of vision, realizing I'm holding it.

He smiled to himself as the bus comes to a stop. "You do love him. Matter of fact, you're madly, irrevocably, and insanely in love with him.