Chapter 17: Anywhere With You (edited)

Chapter's song: Rare- Selena Gomez

"Good morning, mom! You look so beautiful. Blonde suits you!” I admired her blonde highlights, reaching for a place and adding two pancakes.

"You seem optimistic today." She pointed out with a grin as she passed me the Nutella jar. I nodded as I spread some.

"When are you starting work?"

"We're having an opening in a couple of days, so probably next week.”

"I'm happy you're finally here." I held her hand and she squeezed mine lightly.

"I'm so glad I am too. Are you heading to your work? I saw your picture on a cooking website yesterday. You didn’t tell me you were competing in the annual LA pastry competition.”

I beamed. “The baker’s owner insisted I join so I prepared a wedding cake. The results are today, and I feel nauseous.  If I get accepted, I'll move on to the next round."

She tapped my hand, giving me a confident smile. “I’m sure you would. This is your dream job, Stella, and I can’t tell you how proud I am of you.”

“Do you think I’d make it to the final rounds? The judges are professional chefs from all over the world.” I checked my phone and it was already 7:30 am. I got up taking one last bite. "Gotta go.”

"How do you two manage to wake up so early?" Lily yawned and then smiled, staring at her ring, "I'm engaged."

"My beautiful engaged sister!" I beamed, hugging her shortly. "I love you!"

"What is wrong with her?"

"She's just happy." I heard Mom reply when I was at the door.

"What if she's getting engaged too?" Lily deadpanned and Mom went quiet.

"I heard you!" I sang, peeking my head through the door and they hurriedly busied themselves with eating.

I was still smiling as I closed the door behind me, only to find Logan walking my way. We walked toward each other, stopping in the middle of the empty street.

“I have great news." He began.

"What?"

"You got accepted! You made it through to the semi-finals!" I gasped then sprang forward, placing my hands around his neck.

"I can't believe it!" I croaked and it took me a minute to realize that I'm hugging him. I immediately pull away.

"It's the best news I've ever received." I felt my heart race with excitement. I’m a step closer to my dream. It doesn't even seem real.