Chapter 22: Hospital Rooftop (Edited)

Chapter song: Stay- Gracie Abrams
Dedication: MhmudFakih anemoi00 winterjoo thank you guys so much for being so supportive. ILY ♡

Stella POV:

With shaky hands, I twisted the doorknob and tears flew down my face when I saw the state he was in. His face was covered with several bruises, a huge fresh scar just above his lips, and several red-blue marks covering his arm that was wrapped in gauze.

"I told you to get her home, Kai." He said and I ran forward, my purse dropping to the floor as I curled my hands around his neck. Although he was complaining earlier, he still wrapped his arms around me, his chin resting atop my shoulder.

"You thought we wouldn't check up on you? You're smiling, so I assume you're okay. I'm going to talk to your uncle." Kai said before heading out.

"Are you okay?" My voice broke, and so did my heart when I notice the bluish bruise on his forearm.

He looks at me with sincerity while he holds my chin. "I'm okay. But I would get better if you hug me," he said, eyes softening. He didn't need to ask because I couldn't stop holding him. I buried my face in the crook of his neck while my hold tightened around him.

"You're choking me, just a little bit." He laughed, his breath grazing my cheek and I immediately pulled back, lightly touching his face with tears pooling in my eyes.

"Who did this to you?"

"Noah. He was waiting for me with a group of douchebags next to the hospital. I was outnumbered, so I threw random punches here and there."

My tears continued to stream down my face like waterfalls. "It's my fault. If you hadn't defended me that day..."

"Shh," his thumb covered my lips and I glanced down at it. "No one can hurt you when you have me. I said that a thousand times before and will say it again."

A sigh escaped me as I held his hands. "Does your arm hurt so much?" He shook his head in denial but I knew he was lying.

"I saw your father in the corridor."

He opened his mouth to say something but then changed his mind. "I don't want to see him. I need to leave." He pulled the blanket aside, but I placed my hands around his shoulder, trying to understand what's gotten to him.

"You're not going anywhere," I argued and he was about to say something, but held it back when he saw the determined look on my face. I'm not sure what it was, but I released a long breath when he sat back down, wincing at the sudden pain.

"I'll call your uncle. Stay here."

"My father filed a divorce suit." My hands froze around the doorknob, the sadness and anger in his voice breaking me. I swallowed hard, my eyes watering as I opened the door and headed outside, collapsing on the nearest seat.

I found Kai in the cafeteria. He was quick to get me a cup of hot chocolate. I wiped my face and then gathered my hair in a low bun. The guilt was eating me up. I should tell him his father filed a divorce suit after seeing Logan's mother, but how could I put all that out there without making him lose his mind?

How could I tell him that while avoiding breaking his heart into tiny pieces? He'll hate his father more than he already does, and he'll hate me for lying.

"Do you feel better now? Tell me what's wrong so I can help," he said, holding my hands and I told him about the picture I saw at the office.

"Why does she have his picture? You'll need to fill me in with more details, Stella Bella." Although we were having a serious conversation, it was impossible not to laugh at the way his eyes bulged. He looked terrified.