Chapter 11: Deja Vu (edited)

Chapter Song: Deja vu- Olivia Rodrigo
Check out my other novel if you'd like. Its called 'Our hearts and other High Notes'

                                          11
My finger drew spirals around my knee while I stared out the window at the scenery passing by. Everything needed to go as planned because my secret was on the line. We either excelled or will figure out who I am.  

"Are you sure Cassey wouldn’t back out?” I murmured and he gave me a tired look.

“Who’s Cassey?” Lily asked as she followed the location on the GPS. I met Kai’s gaze through the rearview mirror.

“An old friend.” He lied and my lips thinned.

“It’s your first time here, Kai. If you want to lie you should at least make it sound believable.” She said, giving me a questioning look. I raised the volume of the radio up, hoping she wouldn’t ask any more questions. If I told her what our plan was, she’d drive immediately back.

"Did you talk to Eli?" I asked in an attempt to change the subject. She shook her head. I had to do something. It was because of me she had to lie in the first place.

"We're here,” I muttered, my anxiety getting the best of me.

"Damn. I thought it would be at some fancy villa. I'm overdressed!" He nagged, looking down at his formal dress shirt. I settled on high-waisted jeans and an off-the-shoulders pink sweater with the necklace that Aiden got me around my neck. I didn’t take it off. It made me feel safe. It was as if he was around.
The moment we walked into the backyard, we were greeted by Ashley wearing a matching tight black skirt and crop top with her blonde hair in a high ponytail.

"Act normal." I hissed, linking my arm with Kai. Lily decided not to come along because she had so many studies.

"Emily, you made it! I'm so happy to see you.  Is he your boyfriend?" She pointed towards Kai who muttered something in Korean. I could tell it wasn't endearing.

"This is Kim Kai, my Korean-American best friend."

He faked a smile, "Happy birthday!"

"Aish! I don't like her. Blonde snake!" He yammered over the loud music as we sat down on a large circular couch on the grass. My eyes roamed around in search of Logan and I found him talking with Noah. Good. They were where I needed them to be.

"Mason and Logan don't talk to each other. They used to be friends." I mumbled. Kai hummed, looking in deep thought.

"I'll try to watch them." He added and I nodded, hoping things would make sense to me after tonight.

"Thank you to everyone who made it here. To spice things up, I asked my friend to put everyone's name in this box over here and the two names I randomly choose will have to dance."

I glanced at kai with a frown. "Don't worry baby. You won't get his name." I played with the sleeves of my shirt, watching Logan laugh with a friend of his when Mason sat down next to me. Kai wandered at first, and then stopped with his back to Noah, giving me a knowing look. I pointed to my phone, giving him a signal to text Cassey.

"Hey,” Mason smiled, curling his legs to his chest. I smiled back warmly. There's something about him that is so relaxing. I knew that he had nothing to do with the video. He wouldn't do that to me.

"You look so bored."

"I'm not a big fan of parties," I admitted.
"You'd rather prepare pastries, huh?"

I laughed. "I feel like I can be myself there. Nothing is fake. I don't know... everyone is wearing a mask here. They’re fake somehow.”

"And the next two names are...Logan Andrews," Ashley said. "And Emily Woods." She blurted out, looking stunned.