chapter 25: Dance with me (edited)

Hope you enjoy this cozy chapter.

Chapter song: Used to this- Camila Cabello
Dedication: empressellaxx_ dystopianxfiction eyansthetic

Stella POV

I rushed to Vanessa's side in worry, wondering why Aiden's grandma was here. Whatever it was, it couldn't be good.

"Are you alright?" I asked and Vanessa was breathing heavily before she turned to me with a nod.

"Everything will be alright in a couple of minutes. Go back and finish everything needed in the kitchen. I'll be right back." I managed a nod.

"I'd rather she stays." Evaline said, making me stop in my tracks. She pointed her head towards one of her guards. She then pulled out her phone and showed her a recent article in an online site where they were talking about the possible hospital shares splitting after the divorce.

"Jonathan filed a divorce two day after meeting with here. Coincidence?"

Vanessa bit out a ragged intake of breath. "Watch where you're going. If you don't leave, I'm calling the police."

Evaline laughed sarcastically while the tall large muscular guy pulled a chair for her to sit down. "Please do sit down. You too, Emily, was it? I have a feeling what I say may concern you."

"I can't bear being in the same place as you. If you're done showing off, let your bodyguards show you the way out." Vanessa snapped and I held onto her arm, urging her to calm down.

"You thought I wouldn't know you called my son here? That you asked him to file a divorce?"

"She has nothing to do with it!" I shouted, having enough of her attitude, and she sat straighter, the corner of her lips curving into a sadistic smile.

"How would you know?" she demanded and I realized she now knows I was here when he visited.

"What did you expect would happen? Did you think you'd finally be the 'Vanessa Black' you dreamed of? That you and your son could finally live at the mansion like a family?"

In a second, Vanessa slammed her hand hard on the table, but Aiden's grandma didn't even blink. She only glared from beneath her round eyeglasses while pointing to her guards to stay back. I wrapped my hands around my waist knowing it was about time she let her anger out and stopped listening to her accusations.

"I can't justify your son's actions, but I can tell you this and you better listen clearly. I was so naïve back when I was a teenager, too afraid of your manipulations, but that teenage girl is gone. I have a husband and family whom I love. I left everything behind when I left years ago." She shouted and I felt myself blink at every word. What did she do to scare her away?

"Amazing speech," she clapped quietly. "Can you explain to me then what your son was doing at our lunch table? Couldn't do it your way, so you thought you could send your son instead?"

My hands shot to my throat as I watched Vanessa stand straighter, her face going pale. Evaline walked to the door. "I forgot to wish you good luck tomorrow, Emily."

I got Vanessa a piece of chocolate cake a orange juice. She drank a sip and then motioned for me to sit down. "I'm sorry you were there. The man who was here the other day is her son," she began and I was a little surprised she was going to tell me the story.

"I met him when we were both in college. He was majoring in medicine while I was studying Culinary Art. I was so young and fragile," she smiled. "We fell in love and we stayed together for three years before I got pregnant. I was terrified and thought he wouldn't want a child because he had ambitions and planned to study abroad," I nodded, wrapping my hands around myself.