Chapter 8: Meet Emily (edited)

Chapter's song: Tornado warnings- Sabrina Carpenter
Dedication: _S_____A_1

Chapter's song: Tornado warnings- Sabrina CarpenterDedication: _S_____A_1

8

The problem is that we keep convincing ourselves it's going to be different this time around. This relationship won't tear our hearts apart. This person won't leave us second-guessing ourselves. This choice won't leave us on a dead road. This friend won't stab us in the back. Sometimes, in the end, we find ourselves going through the same past tragedy even though we promised ourselves it would be different. Things seem glorious at the start, but then we realize we are already watching a tragic climax unfold. It's human nature after all. We get thrilled about a new beginning. Truth is, there's nothing as the beginning was better because those who love us wouldn't change.

The sun was setting the moment I stepped out of the taxi, staring at the new house my sister rented with a cute little porch decorated with different flower pots. I smile in excitement as I reached for the doorbell when it was swung open as my sister jumped, engulfing me in a bone-crushing hug, "I missed you!"

"I missed you too, Lily. " I smiled warmly as she pulled back and then gasped.
"You cut your hair!"

"There's a lot that I have to tell you. Let's get inside first! I'm so excited to see the house!"
I took my time admiring my new room. All white with a small bed decorated with large pink pillows and right next to it is a window with white curtains decorated with fairy lights.

At the corner was a study desk with several cooking books. I smiled at how cute she is as I held the picture of us set there, from back when we were at our old house during Christmas. I stared for so long at the amount of weight I lost feeling so proud of how far I've come. Later, I was hanging my clothes neatly when I came across Aiden's shirt. My heart clenched. I miss him already.

"Stella! Are pizzas supposed to smell burnt? God, how do you even manage to be a good cook? Please get the door!"

"I thought my recipes were helping!" I shook my head as I opened the door then turned around and my breath got stuck in my throat. My smiles slowly faded into something else. Logan is here. Right there facing me.

He looked so different. His black hair was cut so short and his body toned under his white shirt. My heart raced at the way he smiled, but then flashes of the accident came back and I'm left with anger in my belly.

"Hi?" He said.

"Who's at the door? Logan! Why are you still there? Come in." Lily said. I closed the door, resting my back on it with a heavy exhale. He didn't recognize me. I'm supposed to be relieved. Why am I disappointed instead?

"What did you burn this time?" He laughed teasingly as I dragged my shaky legs to the kitchen and then collapsed on the chair.

"Stella! Why are sitting here like that?" I stood up in a panic.