chapter 35: Paper kings and Queens

Chapter's song: Stay Gold- BTS
Dedication: beautifulpoetic_ LizzyMokgethi luvlylev

Stella POV:

The only space we could now touch is the space between us, and the distance only seems to grow. I can't forget that he left me numb, walked away, and found a spot somewhere afar. Did he except  I'd move past what he did or forget what he said under his breath? Now we were left dancing around figures of speech and drawing x's over v's. It digs a deep hole in my chest and pushes me under it whenever I recognize that the boy I adored at seventeen no longer smiles at me.

I parked my bicycle at school just as Logan got out of his car with a wide smile. I took my helmet off then smiled back.

"Stella Woods, you look different, in a good way." He complimented, referring to my pink dress then reached over and swung my bag over his shoulder. I tried to reach back for it but he shook his head.

It felt so good to have him back as his normal self, calm and relaxed. We walked down the hallway that was filled with fliers related to prom and was decorated with colorful balloons. "Oh, I almost forgot." I stepped behind him then opened my bag and reached out for the box of cookies. I offered him some and he smiled in approval.
I looked up then stopped a little in my tracks when I spotted Aiden with two girls beaming next to him.

"Do you have a date yet?" I heard one of them ask and my heart dropped. He had his back to me but then saw them staring in my direction and turned around. I immediately bent down and pretended I was tying my shoelace. I tied and untied it several times until I heard Logan whisper, "He's gone."

I hurriedly stood up, failing to hide my frown while we made our way to the basketball court where the prom will be held. Everyone was busy decorating and it already looked like it was going to be amazing. Music was playing softly in the background while the DJ practiced several tracks. I noticed Katy struggling to hang the fairy lights as she jumped repeatedly so I walked over to her.

"Let me help." I offered, dragging a high nearby stool and standing upon it. "Be careful.' she hissed handing me the fairy lights just as Mason called her over and she runs to him.
Whining, I jumped repeatedly on my tiptoes then yelped when my leg slipped off the edge of the stool and I felt myself sway to the side just as someone held me up. I looked up to where I was standing then turned and realized Aiden just held me like he did several times.

"You could've asked someone else to do it." He said worriedly and I refused to meet his gaze.

"Thank you. I'm okay." I croaked releasing the fairy lights ended up tangled around the both of us. Frustrated, I huff trying to remove them but he remained quiet then came closer, leaning over me as he cautiously removed them from around my shoulders. I gulped looking up at him for a quick second but immediately regretted it when I found him staring intently back at me. I looked down at his chest feeling my heart flip.

"So, you have a date." He said clearing his throat and I nod.

"So do you," I said, trying not to let the jealousy sound so evident in my tone. I waited for him to answer and he nodded. I bit on the inside of my cheek. So he does have a date. I wish we could've went together. Wish all of it never happened.

"Good," I said and it seemed like it was the only thing I could manage to say.

"Good." He ended as the fairy lights fall from around us to the ground and we both stepped away staring at each other for a whole quiet minute. He then nodded once then walked away while I felt rooted to my place.