Chapter 9: Run with Your Heart (edited)

Chapter song: I miss you, I'm sorry- Gracie Abrams

9I walked down the streets, my heart so heavy in my chest

9
I walked down the streets, my heart so heavy in my chest. How many bullet holes did we have to justify just because we loved the person holding the gun? What if he didn't know what she did? What if he loved her? What if I was giving him too many justifications?

Glancing to my left for a second, a bakery drew my attention with We are hiring flyer. I pushed the glass door. The café was so cozy on the inside, the walls were painted white and baby pink with 'Cherry on Top', the bakery's name, hung on a large wall that had a cherry blossom wallpaper. Little white tables filled the space with pink flowers, marshmallows, and cotton candy sticks set at each one of them. I smiled in admiration, taking in the soft acoustic music playing in the background.

"Hello!" A beautiful young girl my age greeted from behind the counter, her brown hair

"Hello, can I please speak to the manager?"
She nodded, jumping off her high stool. "I'll call her for you!" She hurried to the kitchen and I walked around admiring the mouth-watering cake decorations and loving the complexity of each design.

"Welcome, dear." I turned around to a beautiful young woman who looked in her forties, dressed in a white long-sleeved dress with her black hair pulled up in a low ponytail.

"I read that you're hiring and I would love to work here as a pastry chef if that position is available. I have this gigantic love for food!"
She laughed a little, her eyes lighting in interest.

"Wow, that is amazing dear! I was waiting for someone with your passion, it's the secret recipe for every good chef. Work here can be quite hectic especially on weekends and on special events and you'll only have two days off per week."

"It's fine, but I'm a student and-"

"That won't be a problem. You start at 4:00 AM. Is that okay for you?"

"Perfect!"

"You can come over tomorrow and we'll discuss everything, alright?" I smiled so wide, nodding repeatedly as a customer walked in and she excused herself.

"Woohoo! Ahaa!" I danced in my place throwing my hands up and waving them above my head when I noticed the customer giving me a weird look. Katy laughed under her breath.

"Sorry!" I turned around, giggling as I took my phone out and dialed Aiden to tell him the news. I walked straight, staring at my phone while waiting impatiently for him to answer. I opened the glass door with one hand and yelped when I felt myself bump straight into someone, my phone dropped to the ground in the process.

I winced, rubbing against my forehead then peered up at the person I bumped into. "Logan," I whispered his hands securely around my shoulder.

"Emily?" he exclaimed as he checked my head for injuries, rubbing it softly. I gulped visibly, staring at his chest and feeling my heart at his proximity.