Chapter 27: Surprise! (edited)

Chapter song: This Love - Taylor Swift
Dedication: awficial benyenilmezim JamesCastiel

I placed my palm over my heart as the host slowly opened the cards and started announcing the ones making it to the finals in ascending orders

I placed my palm over my heart as the host slowly opened the cards and started announcing the ones making it to the finals in ascending orders. I watched the third-place winner jump in excitement.

"In the second place, Claire Winfield," she smiled warily. She was supposed to be jumping in joy.

"And in first place, making it through to the finals with a dish that left the judges in complete awe at its complexity and creativity is...Emily Woods!" I was barely able to comprehend the fact that my name was mentioned, yet alone ranking first. The crowd erupted in deafening applause. My hands shot to my mouth as happy tears streamed down my face.

"I knew you would make it!" Vanessa cried and I wrapped my hands around her, thanking her several times. My mother and Lily rushed to my side with a bouquet while Kai swirled me around in a bone-crushing hug. As he placed me down, my eyes roamed around for Aiden, and I finally find him in the crowd smiling back at me.

I took off my apron with a relaxed smile, placing my winning trophy in my backpack. I wish my father was here to see me. He would have been so proud. Every time I succeed in something, I get that feeling in my chest because I miss having him around. Because no matter what, and no matter where I am, his absence still creates this hollow feeling inside me.

I dabbed at my face as I headed outside, and blinked when I found Claire talking to Xavier. He was waving one hand dismissively while his brow curved up.

"Why is everything you do so magical?" he said when I walked by him. Claire scoffed and I realized he was talking to me.

"I have..."

"A boyfriend, I'm aware. Please don't break my heart all over again by reminding me." He dipped his head sadly and I stared confusingly back at him until he cracked a giggle. I laughed with him.

Turning to Claire he said, "It was nice having this conservation with you."

However, it seems as if she didn't enjoy having it because she swallows hard.

I walked out next to him in search of Aiden and my family in the crowd. "He'll be here any minute, so I'll take that as my chance to try to steal you away from him," he smiled, hands tucked in the pockets of his black pants.

Already familiar with his weird sense of humor, I laughed. "He won't like to hear that."

"I would end up with an ugly scar, but at least I could say I tried."

"Tried what?" I looked up to Aiden who was walking our way with a subtle frown.

"Shh, don't tell him," he warned. "Your girlfriend was hitting on me, but I had to turn her down."