Chapter 16: Your Body Language (edited)

Chapter song:  Under the Influence - Chris Brown

                                    Stella

After taking a warm shower, I changed into a large comfy woolen sweater that reached my knees with tall socks and then tidied up my room. Lily called me downstairs to watch TV with her and handed me a cup of hot chocolate.

 "Feeling better now?" she asked and I nodded with a wary smile. "Wait, isn't that my sweater?"

 “I’m stealing it.”

"You’re not." She groaned and then turned to Top Chef. There were only three episodes left before the final one.

“Are you upset because of Aiden?" I turned to her in surprise. “When you cry like that, it's got to be him. We are affected by the words of the people we love the most.”

I placed my cup down, pulling the blanket towards me. “Like you, he doesn’t like my revenge plan. Says it useless.”

“Do you think it is?”

“I’m not sure,” I murmured. “Why are you smiling like that? Lily,” I scolded and she chuckled, shrugging while she gave me a soft smile.

“It’s just you’re stubborn by nature, but when Aiden says something, you’re instantly persuaded. His opinion matters to you. Aiden too listens to everything you say. I’m just saying...” She wiggled her brows.

“You’re starting to sound so much like Kai.”

“Admit it already. His opinion does matter a lot to you. You’ve never been like before” She teased, nudging me with her shoulder.

"Of course it does. He’s my best friend.”

“Sure. If that makes you sleep at night.”

I threw the nearest pillow at her. “Stop smiling like that! You need to spend less time around Kai." I chuckled while reaching for a handful of popcorn.

“Did you call mom? When is she coming back? I miss her." I sighed heavily and she dropped one loose arm around my shoulder.

"The last time I called her she said she'll be back as soon as she's transferred to the new HeartBeat branch."

I nodded quietly, and after several moments of silence, I asked. "Do you believe the real reason I went on with being Emily at school is that I was scared?"

She turned to me, turning the TV volume down. "Is that the real reason Stella?"

I fidgeted with the hem of the sweater. “You once told me that I should let things flow but I was scared that they wouldn't flow in the direction I wanted them to. I don't know but sometimes you want things to go a certain way," I wetted my lips, trying to put my thoughts into words.