Chapter 7: Aiden Black (edited)

Chapter's song: Lose you to love me-Selena Gomez
Dedication: winterjoo

Chapter's song: Lose you to love me-Selena GomezDedication: winterjoo

~~~
7

1 year later

I closed my eyes and everything felt so dark. Like when you're in your car down a dark tunnel and you can't wait to finally get through just to get a glimpse of sunlight. It felt like I was in this tunnel forever until- I finally got out to not only a glimpse of sunlight but a whole ray of rainbows.
I leaned against a tree, feeling the sunlight dance against my skin. I smiled, taking a deep intake of breath before I went back to running. I ran as fast as my legs could take me, admiring the way the wind sent chills to the tip of my skin.

"I call that improvement." Aiden's voice rang from behind me as he ran my way.
I laughed surprisingly under my breath then rushed forward wrapping my hands around his neck. He hugged me from around the waist with a soft laugh, squeezing me gently.

"Wait, I'm sweaty. Sorry!" I pulled back, but he was quick to pull me back in, ruffling my hair in the process.

"You are getting faster Stel but-" When it comes to Aiden Black, there's always a but. I narrowed my eyes, smiling a little as I held his arm, swaying it back and forth teasingly. It's covered with black tattoos, each meaning something special to him.
He raised a brow waiting for me to listen and I dropped his hand trying to hide my evident smile. "Last time you were faster in fifteen seconds-"

"Seconds? That's nothing,"

"Stel..."

"Aish! If I ever lose you two I'll know exactly where to find you!" Came Kai throwing Korean phrases while waving his hands furiously around. When I was at the hospital, he would always visit me with Aiden and we were quick to become friends. They've been close friends ever since middle school through their characters are different.

I giggled, making my way to him as he greeted me with a bone-crushing hug. "Kai- I can't breathe!" he pulled back, pinching my cheeks.

"Guess what? I ran faster this time! Those stretch marks are finally going to say goodbye."

"Chincha? Aiden loves your stretch marks though. " He teased, holding my hands as we jumped excitedly, laughing at the top of our lungs. He stopped for a second breathing heavily. "I'm tired,"

I giggled as we turned to Aiden who was staring at us with his statement poker face. I couldn't help but laugh again. "Stella Bella,"

"Hmm?"

"I was wondering how long it would take him to frown. Faster than your running speed." He pointed his finger in Aiden's direction who was now busy checking his phone. His brows knitted.

"He doesn't talk much, does he?" Kai added as an afterthought and then collapsed on a nearby bench. He knew Aiden so well yet still enjoyed teasing him.

"Jumping took all my energy." he pouted closing his eyes then sat crossed-legged like he was practicing yoga.

"Alright, I have to go now," Aiden said quietly, glancing my way.

"And he speaks!" Kai rose to his feet. "Stella and I have to go too. Important business." He winked and I tilted my head confusingly.
"Oh," I smiled in understanding.

"You don't wanna know where we're going?" He challenged turning to Aiden.

"No."

"Alright, let's get going Stella Bella or we'll be late." He swang one hand on my shoulder. "We'll count to three," he hissed and my eyes narrowed up at him.
"What?"

"Hul, Dul..."

"Wait-" Aiden called and he wiggled his brows knowingly in my direction before turning us around.

"How are you two going?" Aiden demanded placing his hands in his pockets with one brow arched up.

"We-" I began but Kai was quick to cut me off.

"The bus. You know we'll get crammed between strangers with Stella looking like that. Wow, hot." I stared down at my baggy sports pants and the oversized white shirt I stole from Aiden.

"But we'll be fine. Gwenchana." Aiden's jaw popped and he took a deep intake of breath then threw his Audi car keys. Kai was quick to catch them laughing victoriously. It's the most precious thing he owns.

"I'll take care of her," Kai promised.

"Please do." Aiden pleaded, hoarsely while glancing at me with a soft smile. His eyes looked more intense under the sun.

"Of the car?" Kai echoed in confusion.

He blinked. "The car?"

"What do you think I meant?" he tilted his head to the side and I shook my head looking between the two of them.

"Guys, it's hot out here," I whined and Aiden continued glaring at him then intertwined our hands, leading us under the shade of a tree with his hand over my head and shading the sun. I smiled softly to myself. Always so protective.

"One scratch-"

"And our friendship is over. Aish, you've told me that a thousand times before." Kai glared playfully then walked away to get the car.

"Aiden, let me come along with you to the hospital." He stared down at me, his soft sandy curls falling at his forehead then shook his head.

"You go and have fun with Kai and I promise I'll call you when I check on her." He cupped my face and I pouted with a sad nod.

"She'll be okay," I promised, hugging him. He sighed long and heavy and his hold seemed to tighten around me with his head resting above mine. His mother has been in the hospital for a week because of overworking herself. She's a surgeon at their hospital and always works for long periods. He was so worried, yet he always managed to appear strong despite everything.

"Stella Bella!" Kai yelled, pacing in our direction. I glanced up at Aiden who was now frowning. His arms were still around me.

"I'll call you," he promised as I headed to the car with Kai's hand around my shoulder.

"He doesn't smile often, does he?" I turned my head slightly around waving him goodbye. He waved back a little, a half-smile creeping up his lips. I found what Kai said hard to believe. The first thing I saw when I opened my eyes after the accident was Aiden's smile.

***
Sometimes it's raining so heavily and you run so fast and stop under a bridge then everything stops. Everything becomes so peaceful and quiet. Aiden was that bridge to me. That night at Logan's birthday turned my whole life upside down. I almost died. It changed me. Inside out. It wasn't Aiden's fault that he hit me. I was so sad I crossed the street without looking at the street light. But he stayed. He helped me become the person I am today.

My mother always used to tell me how he kept checking on me every day. My condition was so critical that I needed an operation. I was then transferred to a private hospital Aiden's parents owned in New York. My weight affected my breathing which forced them to do an operation to remove my extra fats, and with daily running, I lost almost 20 pounds. I still stare at my reflection and barely recognize the person staring back at me. So healthy it almost makes me cry. I still have stretch marks on my thighs and arms, but sports are supposed to help.

"Yes, mom, and what did the doctors say?" I covered my ears over the quarrels between Kai and the hairdresser while having a phone call with my mother.
"Don't worry sweetie. I was just there minutes ago. She's getting better and she'll probably be discharged in a couple of days. Aiden and his uncle are with her right now. Oh, wait- here, talk to Aiden honey." I sat straighter waving for Kai to calm down.
"Aiden," I shouted over the noise.
"I told you red would look amazing on her. She would look like a kpop idol! I'm Korean, I know!"
"But it would be too daring!" She shouted back at him.
"Daring? Stella, tell her! See my hair, it's red and awesome."
"But I'm a hairdresser!"
"And I'm Park Jimin!"
I groaned shaking my head. "Stel? What the hell is going on? Tell me you're okay!" Aiden demanded.
"I'm fine. I just wanted to check on your mother. I'll call you later!"
"Stel. Don't get me worried. Did Kai get into a fight? Text me your location and I'll come to get you."
"Fight?" I glanced through the mirror at him waving his hands at her as she placed her hands at her waist. "What fight? Why would you think that?"
"Stella," he warned knowing me too well.
"I'll meet you home! Love you!" I said, the words coming naturally to me before I hung up.

An hour later, I gasped, running a hand through my now short hair, shoulder length, with my same light brown hair color. The hairstyle helped bring out my cheekbones. After losing so much weight, my face became thin. In a way, I missed my chubby cheeks.

"Told you to let me do my work." she hissed glaring at Kai that pulled me away and wrapped his arms around my shoulder.

"It's her moment!" he glared his eyes narrowed. I playfully slap him on the arm as he snapped a quick selfie the hairdresser stepping her head in with a wide smile.

***

I tasted the Pesto sauce, humming in content then added above the Pasta with sprinkles of Parmesan. The table was only missing cups, so I reached for the ones I newly bought and rushed to the living room that's connected to the kitchen, setting them down and checking whether anything was missing. Perfect. Smiling, I reached for the phone and then saw a text message from Mom saying she'll be late because she has an extra PM shift at the hospital.

We moved to this medium-sized apartment with affordable rent two months after she got offered a job at HeartBeat, the hospital Aiden's family owns. His uncle was so sweet to offer us a stay at one of his mansions, but we kindly refused the offer. He'd already done too much.

I opened another cabinet, groaning because I know I won't be able to reach the plates. "Why am I short?" I mumbled, crossing my hands over my waist. Sighing, I dropped them at my sides then grabbed the nearest chair and stepped on it, and stretched my hand as far as they could go.
Huffing, I jumped a little swaying my body to the side when my foot slipped off the edge. I yelped, losing my balance when suddenly I am lifted in mid-air.
I gasp softly when I meet Aiden's gaze. He's carrying me bridal style while his eyes drifted between the chair and the cabinet. I curled my hands around his neck breathing heavily.

"I leave you for an hour and you cut your hair which is so cute I must add," he makes me chuckle then puts back his serious expression. "And almost break a leg."
"kai said short hair would suit me." I waved one hand and then quickly placed it back around his neck, almost falling. He continues to hold me, humming quietly as his beautiful eyes roam my face.
"I knew Kai would be behind this but I should thank him. You look beautiful. More than you already are." He said, the right corner of his lip tugging up like it did every time he complimented me or when he tiredly laughed at my jokes.
"Wait- why are you still carrying me?"
He raised an amused brow, lifting me a little while his gaze traveled to my lips. "I don't know...I kinda love it like that."
I hit him on his shoulder with a playful glare. "Now I know why they call you a bad boy."
"Better maintain my reputation." He winked, running his tongue across his lower lip that was full.
"Is the pasta-" Kai stopped at the kitchen door then shrieked, covering his eyes. "Ahh! Should I just walk away and pretend I didn't see my two best friends like that? My eyes are burning!"
"Kai..."Aiden warned laughter lurking in his voice as I wiggled out of his hold, slowly passing past his tall figure. I placed the pasta on three plates and then looked up at them with a smile, "Movies?"

I'm just a girl standing in front of a guy asking him to love me, I swallowed hard, and my hand which is full of popcorn froze midway to my mouth while I stared at the TV screen. Painful memories flashed beneath my eyes. Was I doing the same with Logan? Asking him to love me when he didn't?
It's been so long since I've even said his name.
I spent nights replaying the painful moments of his birthday and flinching in pain every time I remembered the way he let me walk away. Do I pop into his mind? Does he miss me or did he forget I existed?

A year and almost three months have passed since the accident. He probably thought I moved away. He might think I died for all I know. He won't even recognize me if he sees me. I'm no longer Fat Stella. I'm Stella that can defend herself. Stella is confident even though her now fit and healthy body is mostly covered with stretch marks.
I yelped when the popcorn was snatched out of my hand. "Stel," Aiden whispered worriedly, softly tucking a tendril behind my ear. "Why are you so quiet, hmm? Are you crying, baby?" He chased a lone tear with his thumb and I mastered a smile although I knew it won't fool him. He even called me baby, a word that came naturally to him even though we were only close friends.

"It's just the movie. They make me so emotional, right Kai?" I turned to him for agreement but he was already fast asleep. Aiden smiled a little then handed me a blanket which I placed around him.

"He slept," I whispered making my way back next to Aiden who scooted over, tugging one arm around my lower waist. I rested my head on his chest, closing my eyes for a minute. His smell was so familiar. It brought me back to the days at the hospital. I would know it's him from the soft cologne. He didn't have to stay after taking me to the hospital. At first, I thought he felt guilty, but then weeks passed and he stayed, reading me a book on stormy days and making me listen to his favorite classical music when I was sleepy.

"Aiden?"

"Hmm?" He mumbled as I turned my head slightly to him.

"Is your mom feeling better?"

"She'll be back home tomorrow. My uncle said she needs to stay in bed for a week but knowing her I don't think that's quite possible. She can't live without work." I nodded, knowing her too well. She admires her job. His family is mostly doctors which explains his love for medicine.

"Here," he said, handing me my passport and I hesitantly took it.

"When is my plane?"

"Tomorrow night."

"You won't mess your house without me okay? Don't ever leave the cups unwashed. Mrs. Linda would have to clean forever. And the plants, water them too..." I mumbled. The passport was stiff in my hands. I got so used to living here. His family and Kai grew on me that I don't know what I would do without them.
He stood up abruptly frowning as he turns the TV off. "Come on, it's late."

"You'll come with me to the airport?" I asked, still holding his hand.
"No." he ended then left, shutting the door on his way out. I stood there with a dry throat, trying to understand what just happened.

***

I dragged my suitcase down the airport my legs heavy before I turned to Kai with a smile. He hasn't smiled since this morning. "Kai," I pouted pushing him lightly on the shoulder.

"I don't want you to leave."

"I'll come back during spring break. I promise. We'll have so many fights with random people just because you feel like it." He laughed loudly as I pulled away looking around.

"You know he won't come." He whispered.

I swallowed against the dryness in my throat. "I know, it's just that... Nevermind. I have to go now alright?" He nodded and walked away, dabbing on his tears. I waved him goodbye fighting tears of my own while digging through my bag for my passport.

"You thought I'd let you leave like that?" I raised my head, a smile creeping up my lips as I turned around. Aiden stood wearing a black shirt with matching black pants. I sprang forward, wrapping my arms around his shoulders with a force that made him stumble back a little. He said he won't come here but he did. Aiden never backed on his words. Never. It's the first time.

I pulled back, holding his arm as I swayed it back and forth with a giggle. "Hey, stop," he warned and I laughed as he pulled me by my arm ruffling my hair.

My lips quivered as I rested my head on his chest, feeling him fix my hair back. "I thought you weren't going to say goodbye."

"I wasn't because I hate saying goodbye especially when it comes to you. But this is not goodbye. I'm not going anywhere. I promised I'd marry you if you were still single at 26, remember?" He teased.

"Stel?" He pulled me away to check on me, but I buried my face in his chest with my eyes tightly shut.

"I'm not crying." My voice shook and his chest vibrated with laughter as he kissed my hair. I pulled away, watching him pull a golden necklace out of his back pocket. I tilted my head as he walks behind me placing it around my neck. I gaped in amazement at the constellation-shaped pendant.
"Time to go," I whispered as I walked past him. Leaving him might've been the hardest thing I've been through and we both know I've been through hell.

"If anyone dares to annoy you...I'm a call away," he shouted with my back to him. I turned to him and he already had his arms wide open. I couldn't help it. His arms caged me in. The safest place I could ever be. I didn't know how long it would take to see him again but I knew he'll always be there. I knew I could trust him and that is something so much greater than being in love.

End of chapter
Next chapter teaser:
I turned around and my breath hitched in my throat. My smiles slowly faded into something else. Logan is here. Right there facing me, eight months later. All I'm able to do is stare.