||32||

A week later

"Y/n," I heard someone call out from behind. I didn't spare a glance, I just looked at the layout of the landscape we were currently in.

"If it's a report, just drop it on the desk and get out," I told them, grabbing a pencil and drawing a line of the Southern-Eastern side of the ice.

"No thanks," the voice called again before someone tapped my shoulder. I looked up and over my shoulder to see Ayanakoji grinning up at me and Shikamaru sending a small smile at me but he kept a close eye on Koji.

"You're here," I greeted the two, "Welcome to the watchers."

"Weren't there 30 or something people over here?" Shikamaru asked, "whys there only 10?"

"The others all died," I told him, "that's what I'm trying to figure out. Get your brain over here and help."

"Alright," he nodded walking over and looking at the map, "what's this?"

"This circle is the ice, half of it now water so people are referring it to as a lake. The south side was--er--" I looked to Ayanakoji and then to the plans before looking over to Xander who was sat writing in the corner, "Xander why don't you go and show Ayanakoji around the camp and to where he'll be staying."

"Sure," Xander stood up and nodded, "so who're you?"

"I'm Ayanakoji," Ayanakoji replied as the two of them walked out the rent, once they were far enough away I started again.

"The South side had someone lurking around," I told him, "no one goes over there because of the large amount of time that it takes go get there and back in one day."

"And you dismissed Koji because..." Shikamaru trailed off, waiting for my answer.

"Because of that look you were giving him," I replied honestly, "what was that about anyway?"

"He's been asking me question after question about you this past week and the look in his eyes when he asked them...well, I didn't like it," he replied, "and no one even questioned that he may be a spy."

"If we link him to this some how then," I paused and started working out the distance between here and where I found him, "he'd only have to walk five to six days, if he picked up those rogues attacking him, then seven days. I need to get Lloyd, one minute."

He nodded and I left the tent, bumping into Lloyd as soon as I did.

"Perfect timing," I told him, rubbing my nose in the process, "how long ago was it that the mystery person on the South side disappeared?"

"Including this week, I'd guess two weeks maybe two and a half?" he replied, "why?"

"It's nothing for now, thanks," I thanked him before returning to the tent where Shikamaru was now looking at the map with intense seriousness.

"It's not just me thinking that this can't be a coincidence," he looked at me, I shrugged.

"I don't know," I replied, "but theoretically speaking if Ayanakoji and those ninja were here, and they somehow knew exactly when I was going to be passing through and they knew that I wouldn't have been able to ignore someone in need."

"Then they only needed a single week to get from here to there and find the perfect spot for the plan. Then they launched it and you being the dummy you are, fell into their trap," Shikamaru continued.

"Yes-- wait-- dummy?" I looked at him with disbelief. He just smiled and kissed my forehead.

"You're my dummy though," he told me before looking down, "but what would they want with you? You're so boring."

"Should I take that as a compliment or an insult?" I asked unamused before shaking my head, "and besides, I'm a very interesting person who just so happens to be one of the greatest shinobi of my family. Thank you very much."

"Really?" Shikamaru asked doubtfully.

"Why do I love you again?" I asked him. He smiled and wrapped his arms around me, rocking us side to side slowly, resting his chin on my head.

"Because I'm awesome," he told me, "and I love you."

I sighed and pushed him away.

"Anyway," I turned to the map, "we need to keep an eye on Ayanakoji."

"I agree," he nodded, "if he asks anything, avoid it as much as you can, yeah?"

"Or I can lie," I replied with a laugh.

"Y/n, darling, my most favourite person in the world, the love of my life," Shikamaru grabbed my hands and looked down at me, "you can't lie. You're terrible at it."

"You really are terrible, Shika," I laughed before sighing, "love you though."

"Good to know," he smiled, "just don't lie, anyone, even strangers, can tell when you're lying."

"That bad, huh?" I asked, he nodded.

"That bad."

I didn't notice that I was so bad at lying, that's good to know, might as we be truthful for the rest of my life.

"Anyway, shouldn't you go and investigate the South Side?" Shikamaru asked, letting go of one of my hands and turning to the map, his finger ran around the side of the ice and to where the south of the ice was, "they might have left something behind."

"That's true," I nodded, "but do you want to spend half the day walking around the ice just to find you need to turn right back or you'll have to camp out there all alone?"

"Not...really..." he replied, "I wouldn't mind if you came with me though."

He smiled down at me.

"Are you serious about that?" I asked, he nodded, "then we'll go tomorrow and camp out then return the day after."

"And Ayanakoji?" he raised a brow at me.

"I'll have the snowflake Guardians watch him like a hawk 24/7," I replied, he nodded.

"Sounds like a plan then," he concluded.

"Y/n, Shikamaru, dinner is ready," Ayanakoji popped his head back into the tent with a smile.

"Alright," I nodded, "let's go and hope it's not Darius wasn't the cooker tonight."

"Why?" Ayanakoji asked as we all walked in the direction of the dining tent.

"You don't want to know," I shook my head, "I felt like every bite was poison."

"Poison?" Shikamaru repeated, "someone trying to kill us?"

"Yeah, Darius' cooking skills, or should I say, not skills," I replied, "if that even made sense."

"Yeah that made no sense," the boys both shook their head with a laugh. I smiled and looked away as we entered the tent to see everyone staring at a plate of something deadly.

"Eat up!" Darius exclaimed, "I think this might just be the best meal I've cooked my entire life."

Xander put his hand over his mouth and gagged.

"Yeah...uh... I think I'll...pass," he forced out before sprinting from the tent.

Oh no...