XIX: Been That Way

FOUR days later

FOUR days later

"Thanksgiving is tomorrow and we still have to get the greens from the store along with all this other stuff," Delion spoke looking over her list on her phone..

Zion looked up from her phone.
"So why did we agree to have thanksgiving dinner at our house again?"

"Because were a family baby," Delion spoke. "And I wanted to have dinner with all of y'll together before y'll graduate and leave all of us next year."

"Mama that's so long from now," Zion spoke with a laugh. "And I could never leave you. Phones duh," she spoke with a smile. "But I get it. Can I invite Jah and his brother Coby?"

"Yeah that's fine baby," Delion spoke in the kitchen on her phone. She heard feet coming down the steps and looked up to see Hazel in a robe and a ponytail in her hair with a wrap around it. "Morning niece," she spoke with a smile. "Morning Delion."

"Morning auntie."

"Good morning."

"What are y'll talking about?" She asked going towards the refrigerator and grabbing orange juice and a cup from the cabinet. She pouted her a glass and had been at the house for four days now.. without a real conversation with her daughter. It was weird.

"Just about this dinner," Delion spoke.

"Oh," Hainsley spoke taking a sip of her juice from her glass. "Well Im gonna go put some clothes on and get outta the house for a little bit," she spoke just as her phone rung in her robe pocket. She grabbed it with a fresh manicure of blue coffin nails, and a 25 K ring on her finger. She answered. "Hey baby, I just woke up....." and with that she walked from the kitchen to upstairs.

Zion looked up at her mom and her mom gave her a look causing Zion to shake her head with a laugh. She knew her auntie was crazy. "Have you heard from Zay?" She asked.

"Yeah, I talked to him yesterday morning," Delion spoke of her son Zay, or Zayhlen.

"Really? I tried calling him earlier today and he didn't even answer."

"Well you know how it is baby, he'll call you back," she spoke since her son was in Afghanistan currently and deployed. She didn't know when he was going to be back, but she was hoping soon. She hadn't seen her son in almost a year and it was devasating because he left right after they lost Zane.. so it felt like she was losing not one, but both of her sons right after the other, and it was heartbreaking.. but she knew it was a good thing because he was doing something amazing and fighting and serving his country.. he was doing something great.