f o u r

- Next Saturday -
- Avery's POV -

All week all I could think about was Tom. It was weird how such a douche could stick in my head, for that long at least. I mean sure, he was my neighbor, my history partner and I was friends with his best friends but there wasn't a day where he wouldn't pop in and say hi to me. Why me? Chelsea told me that he was bad news and I was gonna believe her and stay as far as I could from him, but so far, that wasn't working. Whenever I'd walk our german shepherd Charlie, he'd always be doing something outside. It's like he tried his damn best to be with me all the time. 
Honestly, I didn't mind it. Sure, it was annoying at first but then it kinda just became our thing. We'd go walk our dogs at 6 every day and just talk. He really wasn't as bad as everyone tells me, I don't understand why he's so threatening and scary in everyone else's eyes. 

I had finally started practicing for the upcoming game on Friday and I'm very excited to show off all the things I did from my old school. 

Sadly our project is due this Wednesday and we just finished our conclusion we just had to add a couple other details.

- Project Group Chat -

Hey, you guys wanna link up at the park today to finish our assignment?: Avery

Tom: Yeah sure

Haz: Sure I need a ride though :/

Tom: I'll drive both of you :)

Ok cool, thanks: Avery

Haz: Thanks bud

After about 10 minutes I hear a knock at my door. I quickly grabbed my things but as I was stepping out of my room I hear my sister open the door. "Hey Kyla," he says. 

"Hey, Tom,"

"I'm here to pick up Avery," he says.

"Are you guys going on a date or something?"

"What?-"

I quickly run down the stairs before my younger sister could say anything else. "No Kyla! We're going to the park with Haz to finish our assignment! I told you!" I say pushing my sister out of the way.

"You ready?" he chuckles.

"Yeah yeah let's go before my dad wakes up." I joke.

My dad's sleeping schedule was way different than ours. He was working nights tonight so he had to sleep all day.

We finally picked up Haz and made our way to the park. I sat in the passenger seat while Haz sat in the back on my side. "So what do we have to do?" Haz asks. "Just finish a couple of details and add pictures," I say looking at the notes I had taken. "Okay cool,"
A couple of moments go by and I hear "Oh Tom I just got your text!" from Haz. Tom's face got pale. What text is he talking about? " It says 'Yo what should I say when-" Tom quickly cuts him off, "AhHhH! Okay, that's enough of that let's listen to some music!" he says nervously turning the music on. I laugh at his reaction and we listen to some music the rest of the way.

We arrive at the park and sit down at one of the picnic tables, Tom and Haz sitting across from me while a shuffle through all the papers. "I just need you guys to find some pictures and put it on this Docs so I can print it at home, okay?" the two boys nod as I had them my laptop and they start scrolling through google.

- Tom's POV -

We scroll through the internet for about 10 minutes, we end up finding a couple of good pictures that represented our assignment. Avery was busy writing notes on our rough draft, so, me being the sneaky guy I am, I decide to click on the unopened tab she had. "dude..." Haz whispers trying to stop me. "What?" I look up and Avery is looking right at me, "Uh, can you go fill out my water bottle please?" I ask handing her my half-empty water bottle. I hate asking her for stuff but I had to check this out. She rolls her eyes and takes the bottle walking over to the fountain not too far away from us. I click on the tab and there was a video, a video of Avery. Weird. "We really shouldn't be looking through her stuff Tom!" Haz whisper-yells. "It's no big deal it's a 2-minute video!" I whisper back. I click on the video and simply listen. She sang a song that I couldn't recognize, maybe one of her own. "Wow..." is the only thing that left my mouth during the 2 minutes of her singing ever so gently while playing the guitar. 

Haz frantically taps my shoulder as he notices Avery coming back with a now full water bottle. She must've recognized her voice because she asked "What are you guys doing?" setting the bottle down on the table. I close the computer screen and all I could say was "You really do sing!"

"What!?"

"Tom opened up a tab and there was a video of you singing an original song..." Haz almost flinches to prepare himself for Avery's attack.

"You did what Tom!?" She yells, her focus changing back to me. I stand up from the bench and walk over to her placing my hands on each side of her arms. "Why didn't you tell me you could sing!?" 

"Because I can't!" she yells pushing me back. I stumble back a little making her walk close to me, and myself walking back as well.

"Yes, you can I just watched a video!"

"That- That wasn't me!"

"You're a terrible liar." I joke making her push me even further.

"Why were you looking through my shit anyways!?" she yells finally pushing me into a tree that wasn't far from our table. She starts pacing back and forth until walking up to me again, closer than before.

"I was curious!"

"You can't just look through other people's stuff! That was my personal tab you shouldn't have looked through it! Why do you even do this stuff Holland!? Urgh, I can't even believe you-"

I cut her off by placing my lips on hers. I didn't know what I was thinking, but it felt right. I knew Haz eyes were completely wide just cause he stayed quiet instead of intervening. 

"I- uh.." she stutters.

"Are you gonna let me talk now?" I smirk.

"Mhm," she nods her head and steps back.

"Avery, your voice is fucking amazing! And the lyrics themselves were flowing nicely and the whole thing, in general, was incredible! Why don't you want people to know?"

"I'm gonna go, uh, feed the squirrels," I hear Haz say as he jumps out of his seat and runs to a tree further away from us.

She looks around and scratches the back of her neck. "I used to sing with my mom." Is all she said.

I knew what she meant by that. I tried my hardest just to leave it alone.

"You could've shut me up in different ways you know that right?" she looks down blushing.

"It was a good excuse to kiss a pretty girl" I flirt lifting her chin up revealing the bright red on her cheeks. I chuckle biting my lip as I look down at hers. "What do you want Holland?" she asks looking straight into my eyes. I couldn't think of anything else to say, so I just kissed her. Again. I couldn't help myself she was everything I needed in my life and I wanted to let her know. Sure, I could've done it in multiple different ways but this just felt right.

Why am I like this...