n i n e t e e n

- 3 days earlier -

I walked into the doctor's office with my little sister and dad. I sat on the table and waited for the doctor to come and tell me that I'm doing fine. My dad makes sure me and my sister go to the doctor once every couple of months just to make sure everything is okay. He's just like that. At this point me and my sister were used to it since we've been doing it our entire life.  The doctor walked in and greeted all of us. He then checks through some documents on the small computer not too far from me. He frowns and starts typing things onto the keyboard. I see my dad's stance change immediately after. I was hoping that the doctor just couldn't read properly and it was simply because the writing was too small but his expression didn't change. "Is, uh, everything good?" I ask with a nervous chuckle. He turns back at me and takes a moment to think. "Have you had any trouble breathing, chest pain or anything out of the ordinary?" He asks, his expression is serious and it started to freak me out. "Uhm... I-I don't think so. W-Why?" I ask. He takes a few steps towards me and sets the cold stethoscope on my upper chest. I breathed in and out as they would usually tell you to do. He takes a few steps back and takes a deep breath. My sister looking up now, she looked scared. 

"I'm not sure but to make sure everything's okay I'm gonna need to take a few tests, so I'll write a couple of notes and I'll be right back." He walks out of the room with a few papers in his hand. My heart started to beat faster and faster as we waited.

The doctor came back with some other lady. She seemed nice and welcoming but her next few words probably changed my life forever. "Hello, I'm doctor Phillips," she says shaking my hand. "I'm Avery," I say quietly. "Can you please tell me what the hell is going on?" I ask the doctor. "Well it seems like over the years you might've developed something with your heart, we will take some more tests but we will need you to take it easy for a little bit until we know for sure," she explains. Problem with my heart? What? Am I gonna die? What do I tell Tom?

The next day I had to go in for some tests. I changed and did them, they weren't bad. It was scary not knowing what they would find. I remember my grandmother and her mother before both had heart complications or whatever. I never thought I had to worry about it because I never felt different. I guess different was my normal.

I sat in the hospital room, by myself. Just waiting for something or someone. Was I gonna die? How long has this been happening? I knew test don't just come back right away so why are they making me wait here?

I heard the door swing open, it was Harper. "I'm here. How are you? How are you feeling? Do you need anything? Water? Oh my god, you need water i'll-"

"Harper I'm fine," I say quietly.

"O-Okay... I'm just worried,"

"I know..." I say looking back down at my hands which were resting on my lap.

"So how are you?" she asks as she sits down next to me in the quiet hospital room.

"Scared," I say, still not looking up.

"Have you talked to Tom...?" She asks quietly.

"No..." 

"He's been worried you know? He told me and Haz..."

"Yeah... my phone's been off since yesterday,"

"Wanna call him or something?"

"I don't know... Harper what if this is bad? I can't just tell him I'm fine and then die."

I guess my words caught her off guard. Tears slowly started rolling down her tanned skin. 

"I-I'm sorry I didn't mean to..." I start. "It's just everything is going wrong at the same time and I don't want to pull more people into it..." I say.

"It's okay, I just don't know what I would do without you..."

I look at her for a moment and start crying myself. What if I do actually die...?