t w e n t y - t w o

"PLEASE, I DON'T WANNA GO!" 

I jump up from my bed, tears streaming down my face as I hyperventilate. Tom, who was sleeping next to me, jumped up as well, "Avery! Avery, it was just a dream!" He says which calms me down. I saw the messy desk lit up by a small blue lava lamp and the bookshelves filled with different sorts of books. His hand started rubbing my back and his other hand, held mine as I closed my eyes.

 "You're okay..." He says calmly. Just as I thought I had calmed down I started sobbing again, this time I leaned on Tom's shoulder as he wrapped his arms around me.

 "I-I'm so scared..." I say into the crook of his neck. 

"I know... it's okay though, you're okay," he says placing his chin on the top of my head, his hand going up and down my arms. 

"You wanna talk about it...?" he says quietly.

 "I couldn't breathe..." I start, my sobbing slowly stopped as I spoke, "I felt like I was being suffocated..." I continue, this time looking back at him. His eyes were filled with concern and pure sadness. "Y-You came running up to me, but I fell and passed out..." I say wiping the tears on my cheeks.

 "Did I say anything...?" he asks softly.

 I nodded my head, "Y-Yeah... you kept begging for me not to leave, and you were crying but I couldn't do anything I felt paralyzed and I couldn't help you, I'm so sorry I couldn't help you..." I say hugging him.

 "No, it's okay Avery, it was a dream, I'm okay and you're okay no one's hurt," he says hugging me tightly as he sets me back down. He leans over, his arm next to my head, keeping him up. "I love you..." he says, setting a soft kiss on my lips. "I love you too..." I say quietly, his lips pulling away from mine. He rolls back over to his side but keeps his arm around me. He pulls me closer to him and I rest my head on his chest, slowly falling back asleep no matter how scared I was. I knew I was okay because I was with Tom. He wouldn't let anything happen to me and I'm incredibly thankful for that.

- December 20th - 2 weeks later -

The cheer team was in charge of decorating the school for the holidays. I was so excited, not only did I not have to go to class, but I could spend that free time decorating the school for my favorite time of year. Christmas. I was happy to be back and just live again. I've been back for about 2 weeks now and I never felt better. No one asked any questions,  most people never even noticed. I didn't get the pity stares either, I felt normal. 

"Hey Avery," Harper says, walking around the corner with a big box of garlands. "Where do we put these?" She asks. 

"Oh, I'll take care of those, we're gonna put a few at the entrance, I was heading there anyway," I say taking the box from her hands.

"Cool," she says with a beaming smile. "I should probably head back to the gym, the girls are trying to reach the big doorframe and I'm not really sure what they're trying now," she laughs. "I'll see you later!" she says walking back to where she came from. 

"Don't forget to meet me in the cafeteria before noon we have to get that place done before the dance!" I yell.

Without saying anything she puts a thumbs up in the air, silently telling me that she'll be there.

I pick up the box that I had set on the ground and start making my way towards the front entrance where a few more girls where setting up the tree. "Avery!" I hear from behind me. I turn around and there he was, Kyle. Urgh. "What." 

"Hey, uh, do you have a date to the dance?"

"Hm... let me think, oh yeah! My boyfriend maybe?" I say sarcastically. I turn back around and continue walking.

"Avery please hear me out!" He says, pulling my shoulder back gently.

"Hear you out?" I start, setting the box down in front of me, "We were dating for 9 months, Kyle. Nine, fucking, months! And what did you do? Continuously cheat on me when I couldn't visit. You were a horny mess and all you wanted was sex! But when I came to surprise you, YOU HAD ANOTHER GIRL OVER!" I say, my face turning red from the anger boiling up inside of me.

"Well, when you put it that way..."

"Are you fucking serious right now? You said you loved me but all you did was cheat and lie! You're a dick." I say before picking up the box once again.

"What about you?!" He yells, making me turn back around. "You cheated on me!"

"What the hell are you talking about!?" I start, "I never cheated!"

"Yeah? What about that guy I saw you with when I came to visit? You were all over him!" He yells.

"Ryan? Dude are you high!? He was my best friend!"

"Yeah 'best friend' my ass!" He starts walking closer, "Don't start pointing fingers, Avery! You weren't fucking loyal! I tried to be with you but you were always fucking busy! Probably sucking that guy off-"

"Oh my fucking god Kyle! Are you done acting like a child? I don't want to be with you okay!?"

"Fuck you then! You'll fucking regret it, whore!" He yells before walking back, furious, to one of his classes.

I turn back around and walk to the entrance. That prick, 'you'll regret it?' really? Urgh.

By the end of the day, we had finished decorating the entrance, gym, most of the hallways and we had started in the library. We were almost done, just a few more balloons and lights and it was about it. Tomorrow we had half a day since the dance was that evening. It gave us more time to get ready.

I couldn't wait.