t w e n t y - o n e

- Avery's POV -

I have been waiting a few days to get out of this boring building, and now was finally the time to leave. I could head back to school before Christmas break and catch up on things. I knew that people would ask about the scar on my chest but I didn't mind, I didn't care much about it honestly. Sure I don't want to get weird pity stares and questions but I had to get over it eventually. Plus the only time they would partially see it was in my cheer uniform, and by the time I have to wear it, it should start to get better. 

During my 12 days here they made me walk around, which was hard at first cause I got dizzy and light-headed a lot, but that was gonna happen no matter what. The best part about all of it was I could spend some of the time there with Tom. He'd always come back with some highschool drama or just catch me up on work. It wasn't often because of school and everything but I loved it when he did eventually visit, it was the best part of my day.

I was definitely nervous to leave. Not that I wasn't excited, it's just the past two weeks have been crazy and I wanted to be certain I could go back to living my life. They said that I would be on a transplant list but it wasn't very important, I was just on the list in case of anything. I could tell it bugged both Tom and my dad. Whenever I'd joke around they would ask so many questions, "Are you okay?" or "How are you feeling?" and even comments like, "you should take a break," and "take it easy!". I understood where they were coming from but it got frustrating. I love them both a shit ton, I really do, but like, c'mon. Give a girl space to breathe... literally.

We got all my things packed up and I got changed into leggings and Tom's sweatshirt, urgh I missed it. I insisted on walking out myself and without any help but of course, Tom was right next to me the entire time. I wouldn't describe it as painful, it felt like it was hard to move and stretch my legs simply because I couldn't for hours. I had taken a lot of pain meds and didn't have much time to move around. When it came to the few steps in the entrance, I help Tom's hand. It might've freaked him out a little cause I grabbed it quickly but holding his hands helped, with the pain and just making sure I could walk properly. 

The ride home was quiet, I sat beside Tom as my dad and my sister sat in the front. "You okay..?" Tom asked quietly. My head was on his shoulder and I had wrapped my arms around his. "Yeah... just tired," I said, my voice sounded sleepy. I wasn't lying, I was very tired but also slightly worried. I knew that my heart was shit, not too shitty, but shitty enough that I had to be on some sort of transplant list. I just felt like one day I'd push myself a little too hard and fall unconscious, or have a stroke, or even heart failure again. I knew if I went through that again I'd die, on the spot maybe. Surviving through some type of heart failure? Hell, I didn't even know that was possible, how do you come back from that? (lmao I really didn't know how to explain it but she wasn't at failure point she kinda was right before so that's why she didn't die k bye-bye)

It was around 4 pm when we got home, and I was already tired. Tom helped up to my room and made sure I was comfortable. Even though I was half asleep, I still saw Tom leaving. Before he could open the door I grabbed his arm, "stay..." I say quietly. "You need sleep Avery..." he says kissing the top of my hand and setting it back down gently. "please...?" I ask, this time lifting my head from the pillow giving him puppy dog eyes. How could he resist am I right? He walks over to the other side of my bed and I turn around wrapping my arms around him as he put his arm around me. I loved this. I missed this. He made me feel safe in ways that words couldn't describe. I fell asleep slowly as he kept scrolling through his phone...

---

I ran around the field as the gym teacher talked to other classmates. Harper ran up to me and we ran the rest of the way together. I felt tired and out of breath but that's normal, we just ran 4 times around the big football field already, most students were out of it completely but we felt fine. I saw Tom and Haz not too far away fooling around as always. "How are you and Tom?" Harper asked in between breaths. "Good," I start, "He's amazing," I say looking back at her with a giant smile planted on my face. "That's good, how are you feeling?" She asked a small worried look crept up as she asked the question. People stopped asking me the questions and stopped giving me the weird looks but my close friends and family always asked, making sure I felt okay. "I'm good, I got my doctor's appointment in two days," I say looking back in front of me. "What about you and Haz?" I asked trying to change the subject. Haz and her have been talking but they'd never admit their feelings. It was annoying on both Tom and I cause we wanted them to date, they were perfect for each other. 

I kept my focus on running as Harper went on and on about how they're just friends. Already I wasn't paying much attention but her voice seemed to grow further and further away. Weird. As we kept running I felt like my chest was closing in on me. I kept running, I kept pushing through it. Everyone feels that way, everyone feels tired after running 4 laps. But the feeling kept getting stronger and stronger and my head started to sway back and forth as I slowed down my running. Harper noticed quickly enough and slowed down as well, signaling Tom and Haz to come here and quick. I felt my heart racing and my hands started getting sweaty. I tried as hard as I could to stand up straight but with the entire field spinning, it was hard to keep my head straight. I placed my hand on my head, "ow..." I say quietly. "Avery sit down," Harper said quickly. "What's going on? Avery are you okay?" I saw Tom running up to me, through the dizziness and the throbbing I could still point out his scared expression. I stumbled back a little, my hand now moving to my chest as I collapsed to the ground.

Before my eyes could roll back I saw Tom, Haz, Harper and the coach all surrounding me.

"Avery! Avery stay with us!" The coach yelled making my head pound even more.

"Avery please, I'm here, please don't go..." I heard Tom say before my eyes closed completely.

I don't wanna go. I'm not ready. Please don't make me go, not now! I can't leave now, please I can't leave. I don't wanna go!