t w e n t y - t h r e e

I looked at my long red dress in the mirror. The top covering my chest so that my scar couldn't be seen. I didn't like it though. Yes, the dress was stunning but, I didn't feel like it looked nice on me. Sure you couldn't see the scar but I knew it was there. A couple of people would know and it made me feel self-conscious. My hair was in a curled half up, and I had put on natural eye makeup with a bold dark red lip to match my dress. I still didn't feel pretty and I didn't know why. 

I sat on my bed as I got a text from Tom asking me if I was ready. I answered with yes, nothing more nothing less. I'd usually send some type of emoji but I felt drained in a way. Was it the sort of threat that Kyle gave me earlier that day? Was it my scar? I didn't know, and it bothered me so much. I heard the doorbell ring and I looked back up at the mirror. A light tear had fallen, I was quick to wipe it away without ruining any makeup. I fixed my dress and hair, forced a smile and made my way downstairs where Tom had been waiting for me. I walked down the stairs hoping to god I wouldn't miss a step and tumble down the large staircase. His eyes lit up as he watched. He extended his hand out as I took my last few steps and I took it before he pressed a soft kiss on my cheek. "You look gorgeous..." He says looking into my eyes. I force a smile, "thanks," I say quietly. My dad had work, of course, but my sister took a few pictures of us before we left.

We drove to the school, the car staying quiet most of the ride other than small questions like 'you nervous?' and 'you okay?" which I simply replied with 'i'm fine'. As we got to the school I started getting more nervous, the threat and scar started to get to my head as we pulled into the school parking lot. "Hey, Avery you feeling alright?" He asks, placing his warm hand on mine. Maybe I should tell him about Kyle? I've already put enough on him, he's always doing something for me and it makes me feel useless. I should deal with this on my own. "Baby...?" 

His words made my heart flutter, not in a life-threatening way but in a way that made every inch of my body feel more relaxed. "I'm okay," I say as I let out a forced smile. 

We walked in the school and immediately people started looking at us. Was it my scar? Did Kyle say something? What is going on? All these questions started rushing through my head until I felt a strong pull on my arm. Harper? Both Tom and I turn around to see Haz and Harper with an upset expression. "Harper, Haz? What's going on?" I ask as Tom followed where Harper had pulled me. "We should ditch this," she laughs nervously, "this party sucks anyways," she continued, keeping the same anxious smile. "Uh, we decorated it?" I say as I raise a brow. What was going on with Harper? She was so excited just as excited about this party as me, what made her change her mind at the last second? She was all dressed up in a light blue dress matching Haz's light blue tie, things didn't add up. I turn to see Haz talking to Tom, the music was so loud the only thing I heard coming from Tom was a loud "What!?". It wasn't confusion either, it was anger. "Harper, why the hell is Tom angry? What is going on!?" I say I'm getting worried, I don't know what's going on, no one is telling me anything. 

"Avery, you gotta promise to leave right after." She says looking around like she's looking for someone. "Okay, fine!" I say. "Jacob Quincy's back, and he's not happy. Rumor says he's been talking lots with Kyle."

My heart dropped. I felt dizzy and had trouble breathing. I knew this wasn't anything to do with my heart condition cause this felt different. It felt like panic and fear. He was back. And he was talking with kyle. Both of these guys hate me, but they hated Tom aswell.

"W-What?" I ask, my voice is shaking. 

I see Tom and Haz run up to us. "C'mon, we're leaving," Tom says, grabbing my wrist. We made it out to the quiet hallway but heard two people talking behind us.

"Leaving so early?" Kyle says, a dark smirk plastered on his dumb face.

"Fuck off Kyle," I say, holding back tears as terror consumed me.

"Watch your mouth pretty lady," Jacob said, walking around the corner.

Tom took a step but Haz put his hand on his chest, silently telling him to stop. The two boys take a few steps closer to me, but Tom pulls me behind him. "What the hell do you guys want?" He asks, trying his damn best to keep his cool.

"A deal," Jacob says, the same evil smirk upon his face.

"A deal?" Haz asks, now pulling Harper behind him. I look back at her, her eyes filled with fear and worry. I didn't know what to do, I wanted to rip these guys' heads off but I couldn't.

"What makes you think I'd want a-" Tom starts.

"You'd get another fight."

"Tom don't," I say quietly pulling his arm back to face me. I knew how bad he wanted to beat the shit out of them, especially Jacob, but he tried to hold back, for me.

"What's the deal...?" He asks quietly, his eyes now looking up facing the two guys.

"We fight. If you win, we leave you and your past alone..." Kyle starts.

"Your past...? T-Tom what are they talking about?" I ask faintly.

"Oh... seems you didn't tell her huh?" Jacob says, a proud smile beams from his lips.

"Jacob I swear to god I'll murder you-"

"Tell her Tom. Tell her what you did."

Tom looks back at me, his eyes filled with heartache. The gold specs that were once in his dark brown eyes, shattered. "I'm so sorry..." he says before turning back to them.

"What about if I lose...?" He asks, anxiety creeping up in his voice.

"It's up to you to find out..." Jacob says. I didn't know this guy could get so evil. All he wants is to fight. It made me sick the way he thought he could do this shit and get away with it. They should've sent him to jail, but then again if Jacob were to go to jail, so would Tom. They're both in the wrong at this point. Tom was furious as it is but I still never told him about Kyle's threat, all of this anger so mostly focused on Jacob. I didn't want to tell him but I knew I should. If Tom agrees to this fucked up bet... I don't know what will happen.

Tom scoffs at Jacob's answer. "Fuck no."

"It's either this or Avery-"

"No. Leave her out of this. She got nothin' to do with this,"

"If I win, both of you fuck off?"

"But if you lose..." Kyle trails off.

"Tom, don't..." Haz says nudging his shoulder.

"It isn't worth it, they'll back off eventually," I say making him turn around.

"If I win, they'll leave you alone." I saw the hope in Tom's eyes. It hurt. He stands no chance against neither of them.

"If Tom. Don't do it, please!"

I saw how Tom looked at me. I knew that after that, he'd decline and we'd simply have to deal with his bullshit another month or so.

He turns back around and says "fuck no..." before taking my arm and walking out of the school.

By the look on Tom's face... I don't think he meant it...