t w e n t y - f i v e

Both Harper and I sat on the bed, talking about the holidays, school, but mostly what ad happened with Tom. I was worried about him. I knew Haz was at his place to talk some sense into him, which meant he was okay. He was safe. I knew the whole deal had him worried, and I wish it didn't, but it didn't give him any rights to do what he did. Sure, it wasn't anything big but I told him to stop, three times and he didn't give a shit. It hurts. The red marks on my arm and the small bruises on my back hurt, yes. But the emptiness in his eyes hurt even more. It's like it wasn't Tom. It's scary.

"What happened with Tom...?" Harper asks quietly, looking down at the red marks around my wrists. 

"Uh," I start, "I don't know, he lost control or something..." I say, trying not to turn on him.

"Avery... what happened?" She says, concern showing in her eyes.

"He kissed me after I told him about Kyle's threat, and he, uh, he wouldn't stop after I told him to." I feel a lump in a throat as I speak. "He pushed me against a wall and kept my hands back until I pushed him back."

I could tell she was angry, but also scared maybe? I still loved him, he just needs time to process all of it. 

- Tom's POV -

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" Haz yelled as I kept my head down. "Are you fucking serious? She loves you man, and you fuck it all up!" 

I stayed quiet.

"Really? Why do you do this type of shit?" He says, pacing around the room.

"I know! Okay? I know! I fucked up."

He turns back at me, disbelief and anger showing in every movement. "You know!? WHY THE FUCK DID YOU DO IT THEN?? Do you know how hard it is to come back from this? Don't come crying at me when she doesn't take you back. Why would you do something so fucking stupid?!" 

His words made a lump form in my throat. I know I hurt her. I don't wanna lose her. These thoughts consuming every part of my brain. I really fucked up...
Jacob and Kyle took over my body at that moment, I was angry at Kyle about speaking to Avery that way, I was trying my hardest to not get into bad habits, but the thought of her getting hurt killed me. 

The way Harrison was saying it though, making me seem like a terrible person, pissed me off. I knew that I did something wrong, I know that I fucked up bad. But I did it cause I loved her. It would make everything else easier...

"Why do you even care?" I say as I scoffed.

"Why? I- What the hell do you mean, 'why'? I care about her and you fucking pushed her against a wall- you should be answering my damn questions."

I looked up at him. I had this look, it made everyone, especially Haz, know that I had some twisted idea. The deal. Yeah sure, I could've dealt with it a different way. But I knew damn well Avery would never let me go through with it. I'm meeting up with them tonight and it was better if Avery could stay out of this entire thing, I just wanted to keep her safe. Haz knew what was going through my head, and boy did he not like it.

"You're fucking with me." Disbelief and fury boiling up inside of him.

I simply shake my head, part of me regretted everything but the other part of me knew that Avery would be safe. 

"You put Avery through all of your bullshit just to go punch a guy!?" He says, his voice getting louder and louder.

"She's out of it now, so-"

"What the hell!? Why would you-" he tightens his fists in front of his face, holding back a whole speech. "When are you meeting them?" he asks, eyes closed, breathing loudly.

"Tonight..." I say quietly, hoping he wouldn't overreact.

He doesn't instead he grabs his bag. Leaving me speechless and kind of confused.

"C'mon, we gotta make sure you win so you can explain everything to her after."

My face lights up with a sneaky grin as I jumped off my bed and grabbed my bag. I knew this was somewhat wrong and I knew that I would regret it eventually but hell did this adrenaline make me feel good. 

- Avery's POV -

Tears roll faster down my cheeks as Harper rubs circles on my back. 

"Shhh, it's okay, he's just going through things right now..." she says reassuringly.

"W-Why would... he do that though..." I sob.

"I'm so sorry Avery..." she says pulling me into a hug, "Let me go get you some water,"

She squirms her way off the bed, leaving me alone to check my phone, hoping that Tom texted. But he never did. What if this was it? Was this his way of breaking up with me? Was he ever gonna come back? Why did he do it? He was always there for me, I feel safe I-

felt safe.

Tom never did anything like that. I hated being touched in general because of Kyle but never thought I had to worry about it. Kyle took advantage of me and Tom made sure to never push me to do anything. His action, yes was it painful in both ways but what went through his head to do it, hurt even more.

As Harper walked into the kitchen she pulled out her phone from her pocket and clicked on Harrison's contact. The phone started to ring as she impatiently waited for him to pick up. 

[ Hello? ]

"Haz? Hey, where the hell are you?" she says quietly enough so I wouldn't hear her but loud enough to show her frustration through the phone.

[ Uh... ]

"Harrison. What are you doing?" 

[ It's nothing, we're fine. ]

"He's fine!?" She says louder than expected, "He doesn't care? What do I tell Avery? She's heartbroken Haz."

[ I'm gonna tell you but you cannot tell Avery. ]

"What? I- okay, fine what is it?"

[ Tom's gonna fight Kyle and Jacob tonight... ]

"He- You- What!?" She says, not caring about how loud she was.

"Is everything okay?" I say, my voice was groggy and raspy from crying.

"Uhm..." Harper covers her phone, "Yep, everything's great just letting my mom know I'm staying here tonight."

"Oh... okay. Did Haz tell you anything?" I asked, walking to the pantry to check for snacks.

"Erm.. nope! Okay mom, gotta go! Love you bye!!"

[ Mom? Harper what- ]

She hung up the phone and shoved it back into her pocket. She fills a cup of water for Avery and they make their way back upstairs, on the way up only Harper notices Harrison's car pull out of the driveway. Her heart stopped at the thought of having Tom beat up by a bunch of guys.

What is he getting himself into?