Chapter Thirty Four ~

Namjoon tossed and turned in his bed before his eyes shot open. Someone's knocking, Namjoon told himself. Before he could process anything, he jumped out of bed and ran down the stairs, skipping every other step as the knocking increased in volume. "I'm coming!" he shouted in hopes of reassuring whoever it was that he was trying to get to them as fast as he could. The time on the microwave caught his eyes for just a second as he passed the kitchen. Who in the world is up in the middle of a thunderstorm at two in the morning?!

Namjoon unlocked the door and flicked his porch light and front room light on in one quick motion. He then threw the door open and felt a small body crash into his.

"Joonie," a small voice cried and Namjoon closed the door, dulling the storm's growls and screams. He locked the door but didn't turn the porch light off as the body clung onto him for heat.

"Emma?" Namjoon finally said, kneeling down. Emma grabbed him in a hug, her body trembling aggressively. Namjoon realized her clothes were soaked through. "Oh my gosh, Emma, what's wrong?"

Emma sniffled. "Mommy's not home. I don't like storms. I'm cold."

Namjoon felt his blood boil as he picked up the little girl. He carried her upstairs and sat her down on his bed before he went to the laundry room downstairs. In a rush, he stopped the dryer and took out the load of towels that were being dried. He bounded up the stairs once more to see Emma shivering, still in the spot he had put her down in. "Hang on, Emma. Let me get one my hoodies or something. We got to get you out of those wet clothes, or you'll never get warm."

Emma nodded politely, her teeth chattering. Namjoon immediately spotted one of his sweatshirts laying on the floor. It was from the day he had taken her to her mom's work. He walked over to Emma. "Here, put this on."

Emma looked from the hoodie to Namjoon, as if she didn't know how. Namjoon realized what the question lurking in her eyes was, though. He gently grabbed the hem of her nightgown. "Here, I'll take it off for you, okay? It's wet, so it's a little bit harder to get off. I'll shield my eyes so I won't see you." He waited for Emma's nod of permission before he shut his eyes and pulled her pajamas up over her head. He dropped it to the ground, but still kept his eyes closed. "Get one of those towels to wrap around you, okay? They're warm." Namjoon waited before he heard a quiet "okay."

Emma watched Namjoon take the hoodie he had picked up and shove it over her head. He pulled it down until her head popped out of the top, her wet hair sticking to her forehead as if it had been glued down. Emma instantly pushed her arms through, even though the sleeves were two times as long as her arms. "You want me to dry your hair?" Namjoon asked.

Emma nodded but Namjoon noticed her lip quiver. "Hey, it'll be okay," he reassured her, getting another towel and wrapping it around her head. "You can stay here tonight. You're a brave little girl running through the storm like that."

Emma just sniffled, wrapping her arms around herself to keep the warm towel underneath close to her.

Namjoon gently dried the girl's hair, hoping she was getting warmer. Anything is better than soaking wet clothes, though. After a few minutes, Namjoon stepped back and noticed Emma had grabbed the other warm towels to hold against her. He couldn't believe her mom wasn't home to comfort her.

Namjoon kneeled down on the floor and looked up at Emma. "You just stay here tonight, okay? I'll call your mom in the morning or get Hoseok to take you back."

"No," Emma stated, looking at Namjoon. "I want appa."

And you're going to get him, Emma. Just wait a little longer.

---

i figured out what i want to do with miyuu's and namjoon's relationship and i can't waittttttt