Chapter Thirty Six ~

When Namjoon had woken up, Emma had moved from the bed to beside him on the floor. He sighed, hoping her body wasn't aching like his was, and moved her to the bed under the covers like he had last left her. The storm was over, and the sunshine of the morning shone brightly through the curtains. He decided a nice, hot coffee would help wake him up.

Namjoon started a pot of java and the sight of his neighbor's house caught his eyes. He peered through the glass above his sink and watched Emma's mom walk to her front door. He wondered if she would call the police, wondering where her kid was. He looked away to wash some dishes, but movement caught his eyes once more a few dishes in. He watched Emma's mom walk back to her car, a jacket in her arms. She looked like she didn't have a care in the world as she smiled and got in the passenger's side of the car. Namjoon watched them drive off and thought maybe they'd stop at his front door, but they sped by. Namjoon didn't know if he was happy or furious.

Emma woke up when the dishes and coffee were done. She had wandered down the stairs without making her presence known, so when Namjoon turned around and saw her standing there, he almost jumped out of his own skin. His hoodie almost drug on the ground as she walked over to him and she asked if he had anything to drink.

The two walked over to the fridge and he opened it, suddenly becoming embarrassed by the contents. There wasn't much inside. Half-finished cans of soda, take-out boxes from ages ago that were probably molded over, and a few condiment bottles laughed at Namjoon as he tried to find something Emma would want. Her fridge is probably full of expensive foods and drinks, Namjoon internally sighed, seeing Emma look inside with curious eyes.

"It's not a lot-"

"That." Emma pointed to the jug at the back of the fridge. It was a gallon of orange juice, Miyuu's choice for breakfast beverage. She would normally get a glass of OJ before she would drink a few cups of coffee with her boyfriend.

Namjoon reached forward and grabbed the jug. He opened the lid and sniffed the contents.

He never knew orange juice could smell as bad that. He wondered if it was a metaphor for his past relationship.

---

a new character is introduced in chapter 42. it's not who you're expecting but it's who we all need