Chapter Fifty Four ~

Jin's nose was red from the cold as he stared at the door in front of him. His hair was getting tossed and blown about in the light breeze that was full of a bitter freeze. He sighed, his deep exhale sending a plume of fog into the atmosphere around him. It had been years since he had physically seen both his ex and daughter. A part of him couldn't wait to open up a new door in his life, but another part wanted to keep it shut. Before he could coax himself out of everything he had worked for, he pressed the doorbell and waited patiently. A minute had passed before he heard the door unlock and swing open to reveal a raven-haired male.

"And you are?" the male asked, raising a brow suspiciously. The top few buttons of his shirt were undone and Jin felt like he might have interrupted something.

"Kim Seokjin. I would like to speak with Hatsumomo Arai, please?" he answered kindly.

The unknown male smirked. "She's not here right now. You'll have to come back later."

Jin swallowed. Any normal day, he would've accepted the lie and walked away with his shame, but Jin knew today was not a normal day. He smiled at the male in front of him. "Actually, I saw her walk in with you and her daughter about ten minutes ago."

The male, who Jin suddenly realized must be the Jimin Hoseok had been gossiping about, went to retaliate, but Jin stopped him. "Before you send me away, I want to clarify that I'm Emma's father and no one steps in a father's way of getting to his child. So, please, send Ms. Arai down or I'm going to have a problem."

Jimin's over-confident aura shattered and he bowed slightly. "Yes, of course. Excuse my behavior. I'll go get her now." He went to leave, but he stepped away from the door to allow Jin to enter. "Wait inside. It's cold."

"Gladly," Jin responded before Jimin ran upstairs, disappearing in a matter of seconds. As he waited, Jin looked around and was concerned that he didn't see any child's toys littered around. It seemed like there was no sign of his daughter anywhere.

A few minutes later, Jin heard footsteps and looked up to his ex making her way down the stairs. Her face was solemn as she approached. Jin let her speak first. "Well, Mr. Kim," she started, "I didn't think you'd come back."

Jin bit at the inside of his cheek. "Me either."

The stood in silence for what felt like years. The aura was awkward and neither one knew what to say. Jin found the words, though, soon enough. "I think you've shown what kind of mother you are, Ms. Arai, and I believe it's time for me to take Emma back."

The woman looked confused. "What do you mean? I take good care of her."

"You have a day to pack up all her stuff and send it next door to her babysitter's – who is not fired."

Jin saw his ex gulp. "You can't just-"

"Yes, I can," Jin replied. "Emma is going to be in my custody. My daughter's needs should never be neglected and I thought you'd realize that when she came into this world. I let you keep her because I knew she needed a mother figure, but I wonder if you've even provided that. So, Ms. Arai, please spend this one last night with your daughter like you should have done for the past seven years."

---