Chapter Forty Four ~

"I'm actually going to throw myself off the roof of my apartment," Hoseok stated through the phone.

Namjoon held two boxes of cereal, one in each hand. His phone was sandwiched in between his shoulder and his ear as he shopped for groceries that would not only sustain him but Emma. "I'm sure it'll be fine, Hoseok. We just tell Jin what's going on and that Emma can't stay with her mom anymore. Simple as that."

"Uh, it's not as simple as that! Namjoon, this is his daughter and we can't act so nonchalant about it," the older whined.

"Then throw yourself off the roof of the café tomorrow and it'll prove our point," Namjoon snickered, earning a groan from his friend. "Hey, what're Emma's favorite foods? Do you know?"

Hoseok rolled his eyes, but Namjoon couldn't see his annoyed expression. "There you go, changing the subject." He exhaled a long, dramatic sigh. "Um, she's not that picky, actually. She normally eats whatever I suggest, unless she secretly hates it and shoves it down her throat regardless. Actually, considering her mom probably doesn't feed her like she should, she's probably starving and doesn't care about what food she eats. I mean, Emma is like, a mop handle – have you seen her?"

It was Namjoon's turn to roll his eyes. "Then what do you feed her? What does she eat at home?"

"She likes cinnamon toast," Hoseok stated.

"I'll burn my house down if I try that, and I don't think my parents would like that," Namjoon stated.

Hoseok hummed a little tune through the phone before he gasped. "Oh! She loves ham sandwiches. One of her temporary stepdads told me that she'd always ask for one when he picked her up from her mom's work. Hey, why don't you ask Emma instead of me?"

Namjoon threw one of the cereal boxes into the cart. It had marshmallows in it, so he assumed that Emma, along with every other kid in the world, loved it. "Because I'm at the store at midnight and I don't think it'd be very nice of me to wake Emma up and ask her what she likes to eat."

"You have a point."

---